(Closed) Are your friends & family supportive of your LDR?

posted 8 years ago in Long Distance Relationships
Post # 3
362 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

My dad used to call Fiance “the figment” because I talked about him all the time but he’d never met him, lol.  Other than that, they were pretty supportive once I explained the whole LD deal to them.

Post # 4
18645 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

It was sort of strange for my dad as well.  He thought that since we were in high school we weren’t serious but then near the end of school, he made me promise that I wouldn’t get married until I graduated!  Guess he took it seriously then!

Post # 5
651 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

everyone is pretty supportive, since we were friends locally first and then went to different schools.  everyone in my family has met him and like him so there have been no issues.

Post # 6
3709 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

There have been a couple of close friends that I would say has been less then supportive. Overall though…my family and friends want me to do what makes me happy. My Fiance and I have to take some of the blame though b/c his schedule is so crazy, we tend to shut everybody else out and take what time we have for us and our kids. I figure once we are settled under one roof everybody else can get to know him then.

Post # 7
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper

My friends were all incredibly supportive and understanding. My parents told me to kinda get over it. I don’t think they thought we’d make it, LOL. It seemed like too big of a task. And like any parent, they thought i was too good for him =]

Strangers are the worst—“Why didn’t you get married first? Why did you choose to stay in Rolla and finish school, NOT move to GA to be with him? Don’t you know military men have a girlfriend in every citY? I bet he’s cheating on you–he could SO get away with it”.

Good thing strangers are stupid =]

Post # 8
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

oh man, my parents were FLOORED when I told them I was seeing someone, but that had more to do with how my last relationship turned out. J won HUGE points with my dad for the way he pursued me around the world. They’ve been really supportive since then, and are even excited about the wedding!

Post # 9
3979 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

My mom and grandmother were like “He’s just using you.. he’s never going to marry you!” because I had gone to KY about 10 times before he came to Canada.

lol I was a student when we met, so I was free to travel. I was then self-employed so I could make my own vacation time…  they still thought he was just using me for sex though (geez. yeah b/c its SOOOO convenient?!)

After they met him– they fell in love with him & he became a part of our family! He’s still only been to Canada 3 times! Its never bothered me, just my mama 🙂

Post # 10
323 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’ve been really lucky, everybody is very supportive of us, mums and dads taking us to and from train stations, friends inviting us both over so we don’t miss out on seeing each other (mutual friends anyway!) It would have been so much harder if they hadn’t approved.

Post # 11
72 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

Before I found The Boy, my mom used to harp on me to “stop being so picky” about men. Then a friend of mine went through a nasty divorce. Mom must have realized marrying the wrong guy isn’t worth it, because the harping stopped.

She was a little wary of The Boy at first, since I’d only just met him in person when I introduced them and he looks like he’s about 22 (he’s 29), but she got over it very quickly.

Apart from that tiny hiccup, everyone on both sides has been 100 percent supportive. Lucky us!

Post # 12
2408 posts
Buzzing bee

thankfully both sets of parents and friends have been very supportative. they see how happy we are together and do what they can to help us through the low moments. i’m extremely glad that everyone has been excited for us. except now i have to fight my dad for time when the boy comes to visit me! it’s a good problem to have.

Post # 13
455 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Well, I’ve received some comments on my part.  A few family members and my mom made comments about him having the best of both worlds… a commitment from me and freedom in his city to have his “side piece” as they called her.  I ignored their comments.  They all have man problems and don’t trust men in general, so I can’t really take them serious.  They still make comments and still ask me how do I know he’s not do this or that.  They just can’t get that trust thing.  LOL!!! 

Post # 14
134 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I was surprised that my mom has been totally behind this from the get-go. She was practically shoving me on the plane to go meet him. I knew then that this was going to work, because there’s no way in Hades my mother would say “Yeah, go to the other side of the world to spend three weeks with some man you have never met” unless she knew it was a good thing. She claims it’s ‘mother’s intuition.’ The day we took him to the airport to head home from his visit, she admitted to me that she was expecting me to tell her I was leaving with him, and to get on the plane too–and she was cool with that. Love my mom!

I am totally certain Spike and my dad would have gotten on like gangbusters. My mom is convinced that my dad brought us together somehow.

Spike’s family all seem to be happy that he’s found ‘the one.’

My friends are totally cool. Bless their hearts, they make little remarks from time to time about how they don’t want me to leave. It’s really sweet of them.

The coolest thing is, we’re mini-celebrities around here. People I don’t even know are fascinated by our story. My mother has told everyone she knows at work, and they always come ask her for updates. I had to go down and show them all my ring (like I minded!) Folks seem to find it all romantic and inspiring, and that’s pretty neat.

Post # 15
2205 posts
Buzzing bee

My family was very supportive because they got to know him well before our LDR began.  I think his mom was a little skeptical that things were serious until I started coming out to visit him every few months.

The topic ‘Are your friends & family supportive of your LDR?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors