- 4 years ago
- Wedding: April 2015
This is long, sorry! For anyone that didn’t read it, this happened http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/disappointed-and-frustrated#axzz2VkqqCWCp
We didn’t end up returning it right away, we ended up giving them the benefit of the doubt since the paperwork matched the stone that it wasn’t switched, even if it didn’t look at all like what we picked out. Maybe it was just the lighting in the room we picked it out in, who knows. Either way it wasn’t what we were expecting and we were super upfront about that. The jeweler did show us some other stones, but anything we liked was waaay out of our price range.
The thing is, we shopped around at other stores too. And those same types of stones, that we did like, were in our price range. Most of the stores we looked at were comparable with blue nile or other online stores, although none of them were Tacori dealers so we would have to keep the band we had bought and just return the diamond instead of returning the whole thing. While at one of these stores we showed them the ring and asked if it would be a problem to set one of thier stones in this setting. They brought one of thier jewelers out from the back and showed it to him and he explained to us that there would be a problem. Why? Get this….
….The first store acutally BROKE this $5600 band while setting the stone. The bezel was actually cracked in 3 different places, the prongs were splayed out so forcefully that the metal was “tired” and wasn’t even supporting the stone it was holding. It could have fallen out at any moment. They showed it to me with a magnifying glass and the damage was obvious. Apparently (we called tacori to confirm this) the band was meant for a 1 carat stone. We had picked out a 1.5 and the guy that sold it to us convinced us we could go uo to 2 and the band could hold it just fine. Now, they could have actually ordered a tacori that would hold the stone, but they sold us the floor model and just shoved the wrong size stone in it.
I was livid, and we drove over to the first store to return the whole thing immediatley. The managers of the store were clearly unhappy upon finding out the details of both our problems with the stone and the setting and assured us it wasn’t their business paractice (they blamed it on the one guy who sold it to us) and did want to make it up to us but I insisted on returning the whole thing right away and then just taking some time to think about what our options were. I honestly thought at that point FI and I were on the same page about not wanting to make another purchase from this jeweler.
I went out of town and things got busy and we haven’t been looking at other stores for the last few weeks. FI has been in communication with the manager we sopke to when we returned the ring, and the guy has offered him coporate pricing, promising he’s talking to Tacori and they can rush order another setting in the correct size ect. He asked me if I wanted to just go in and look at what they have to offer and I agreed, but made it clear I don’t 100% trust these people I think we would do better elsewhere. So on Friday we went in, just to look. Most of the stones he showed us were STILL way over priced and not even eye clean. Then he was like, “I have this other stone, it’s not what you asked to see but I just thought I’d show you guys anyway.”
Well of course it was beautiful, way higher clarity/color than we were looking for. And expensive. It alone was the budget we had originally set for the entire ring, and although we were a bit over budget anyway-not THAT much. I immediatley didn’t consider it an option for that reason, but FI really liked it and even though I said we would have to think about it he put a deposit down on it before we left. On the drive home I asked him if we could actually afford it, because I didn’t want us to be broke becaue of a ring and I felt confident that we could get something we were happy with within our price range for another store. He kept giving me these half answers like “I think I can swing it” that didn’t inspire much confidence but I eventually dropped it. I just went downstairs a few minutes ago and asked him if we could talk about it and he got mad at me and said he was going to buy it tomorrow. When I said I wasn’t convinced we could afford it he started laughing and telling me it was “my thing” so it was hilarious that *I* thought it was too expensive. What the hell does that even mean?
Anyways, I have a feeling he wants to buy it so the whole ordeal is just over with. Which I can totally relate to, because I want this done as much, if not more. I just want to be sure we are making the right choices for oursleves and for our furture and if that means it takes a little more stress than so be it. And I don’t need this new attitude of his on top of the stress this has already caused! Ugh. Maybe I should just give in and let him do what he wants. But I hate that he’s making me feel this way about it. I already have a sour taste in my mouth about this whole experience and I’m not even excited about it (the ring, not the engagement) anymore, I don’t need him suddenly not being able to converse like an adult about so much money on top of all that.