- 3 years ago
hi (sorry this is long and I hope it makes sense)
i have a dilemma. I live abroad and I planned to attend my friends wedding because I wanted to also visit my ill grandparents. so that was the main purpose of my planned trip to visit family and then schedule it so that I can also attend the wedding. she was a bridesmaid at my wedding.
I couldn’t rsvp if i could come or not because my work visa application was still pending so I couldn’t set my dates or location of departure yet. If my visa was rejected I would have to leave the country I was in and go somewhere else.
But I got a call of my family that my grandma was not doing well and looked like it might be her last few days. So I had to book my flight back immediatley for the next day to try to get back ASAP. I had to get a re-entry permit while my visa application was in processing. luckily i just finished a work project (I am a contracted self employed person) so I could easily travel at that time.
But I didn’t make it back in time and she passed away. So I have been back for 6 weeks already and I decided to extend my trip for another 2.5 weeks because I need to do some things for my family while here. but my friends wedding is 5 days after that and she noted that it’s only 5 more days – she hopes I can make it…if possible.
I feel gulity because it’s so close, I can still change my plane ticket but I feel like I also need to get back to my life and work abroad and we have some friends visiting our place during that time as well and we need to look for a new apartment for october 1. her wedding is also a 2-3 hour trip from the city and requires an overnight stay at the hotel she is having it at. I don’t drive so it would take me probably over 3 hours to get to. I also don’t know anyone that I can hitch a ride with and back to the city. so that is another issue. I would have to extend my flight so that i have a day to get back to the city so that I am not rushed to get to the airport.
If her wedding was a bit sooner or if my trip wasn’t going to be so long for 2.5 months in total I would probably extend it to include her wedding.
Do you think I should still try to extend my trip to go to her wedding or will she understand that I want to go back right before her wedding?