(Closed) Aubergold 2012 Wedding Weekend Extravaganza

posted 8 years ago in Logistics
Post # 4
2765 posts
Sugar bee

What does your mister and his family think of the idea?  I might be worried about taking the focus away from his med school graduation…  although I have to admit, it would be convenient for friends and family not to have to travel twice!

Oh and also: how far away from most of your friends and family do you guys live?

Post # 5
3281 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Do you mind sharing your wedding with his graduation?? I think thats the only thing that might be an issue. Graduation and marriage are 2 totally different things, but if you dont mind sharing the spotlight with a graduation, I think its a good idea. The reason I bring this up is because I know I wanna be the center of attention for all wedding things lol, but thats just me

Post # 6
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

I know that my med school graduation was a whirlwind of activities with med school friends and family.  There were several graduation parties to attend and other activities that I didn’t want to miss.

However, if most of the family has to come from far away, maybe this is the best way to handle things…

I think it’s going to be hard for your man to know how he’s going to feel about graduation weekend this far in advance.  I know that I thought I wouldn’t care about it until I was closer to the date.  Med school was such an emotionally and intellectually trying time that I had a lot of stuff to process by the time graduation weekend rolled around!

Best of luck in deciding!  Please keep us posted 🙂

Post # 7
639 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

It might be a little too much to pack into one weekend since they are both such momentous events.  There might be an issue of one detracting from the other, however I think you have a good point about people maybe not wanting to travel twice in such a short time period.  As an additional consideration, how many “seats” does each graduate get at their graduation ceremony?  Due to limited space issues, I know a lot of places limit how many people each graduate can invite to the actual ceremony to ensure that everyone is able to have at least some family/important people in attendance.  Just something to think about when you are considering the possibilities.  

Post # 8
2205 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

You’re not crazy for thinking this might work, but I agree with all the previous posters concerns (about graduation related activities you might miss–and lots of things going on mentally and emotionally before two very different, but major life events, especially for your fiance!)

What does he think about packing it all into one weekend?

I had friends that graduated on a Saturday morning and got married the next day…but it was from their undergrad and seemed to work out ok.

One thing’s for sure–if this what you guys end up doing, you’ll definitely need a relaxing honeymoon after it’s all over!

Post # 9
1566 posts
Bumble bee

We just graduated undergrad and it was a CRAZY weekend. I can see how the idea of putting it all together is very appealing in terms of travel logistics, but I think it’s honestly too much. Besides the concerns that have been voiced already, the bachelor/bachelorette party idea seems like asking for trouble. Usually, people don’t recommend doing the bachelor party on the wedding weekend at all – doing it the night before graduation events makes it even worse. 

Post # 10
1042 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I don’t know, I think that having your wedding at the same time as graduation kind of makes it seem less special…

Post # 11
5399 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I can see your thought process on this, but what does your Fiance think about it all?  Since it is his med school graduation (and I would consider that a pretty big deal) does he mind sharing the celebration of that with your wedding celebration?  Also, how far do guests have to travel?  If it’s only an hour or two, I’m sure they wouldn’t mind traveing for his graduation and then possibly traveling again the next month or so for your wedding. 

Post # 12
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

How much overlap is there between Med School Graduation Party Guest List and Wedding Guest List?

Like DG mentioned, his graduation might have a lot of stuff going on involving med school colleagues – who may or may not be on your wedding invite list! It might be a little awkward for them if the party is combined with rehearsal dinner.

If you guys are people people, you don’t mind the thought of planning SO MANY big parties all at once and splitting your attention and focus on the weekend of your wedding, then sure, why not?

But in case it doesn’t end up working out, try to hold it loosely… I know for us, we had a lot of ideas when we were still further out from our wedding that I got excited about, but most of them fell by the wayside once we started actually paying for stuff, haha.

Post # 13
7054 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

My bil is a surgeon and I remember his graduation weekend.  It was a whirlwind of activity and alot of things for the families to attend at his school.  And there were a few private parties thrown by his friends and classmates too.  They celebrated and it was his time.  He’d married my sister six months earlier, and they just kicked back and enjoyed the weekend. 

I’m not a doc, but am a health professional and remember my graduation weekend too.  Similar.  We had events and two parties and it was a whirlwind.  Fun, but there’s no way I could have squeezed inbetween the luncheon, graduation rehearsal, and private parties to get married. 

My thoughts are to space this out.  I just don’t see how you could have a wedding rehersal smack dab inbetween a graduation rehersal and a rehersal dinner and a graduation luncheon or festivity and pack it all into one weekend schedule unless you did a Sunday wedding.  Those are popular now and that could work.  A lovely brunch/afternoon wedding on a Sunday might be just what your doctor ordered!

Many hugs and wishing you love and happiness!

The topic ‘Aubergold 2012 Wedding Weekend Extravaganza’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors