August 2013 Bees – what will your ceremony be like?

posted 3 years ago in August 2013
Post # 3
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@elysion:  Having a religious ceremony in a beautiful old church with a Catholic mass. FI’s family is still Catholic (a lot of them) and we were both raised Catholic. Boring, I know. LOL 🙂 

Post # 4
901 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Full Church of England ceremony, but pretty personal (it’s our church, we are being married by my OH’s father, our lovely vicar is doing the sermon, the band all know us well and have offered to play for free, etc). I think that some of our nonreligious friends will think it’s very traditional and impersonal, but it won’t be impersonal to us!

Post # 5
293 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Ours is outdoors, and we’re keeping short and sweet. Not overly religious, but officiated but an ordained minister who was a chaplain for a sheriff’s office, but now mainly does weddings. I was raised in a religious home (but am now agnostic) but there will be a few general references to God (to appease parents, grandparents) but no scripture/Bible readings. The “real” material that matters to FI and I is the reading we chose (an excerpt from “The Prophet” – highly recommend) and our handwritten vows. No unity candle, sand ceremony or hand-fasting ceremony for us either – it just didn’t feel right for us. 

Post # 6
11300 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

We’re having an outdoor ceremony, performed by a local couple who does soooo much stuff (officiating, yoga, massage, etc.). I found them through a Google search for officiants and they have glowing reviews from non-traditional brides. We met with them and they were wonderful. They sent us a 17 page document from which to build our ceremony, so we chose bits with a nature-based theme and added a handfasting ceremony. FI helped me pick out the material for the cords. I kinda want to do our own vows, but FI’s not too keen on that.

No religious readings, no mention of God. I’m sure that will ruffle quite a few feathers, especially from grandparents, but idgaf.

Post # 7
3806 posts
Honey bee

We want a very traditional Christian ceremony. Very little music and no one else really involved except for the minister and us. 

We are looking to say “I Do” and repeat the traditional vows. That’s it. I offered a “reading” role to a friend but that was more so a political move to make sure she felt “included” in my big day but I think we’re going to make up an excuse and “cut it”. We never really intended to have a reading. 

So basically:

Processional

Bride Entrance

Minister Intro, vows, I do, ring exchange, announcement

Recessional

We just wanna get married lol 

Post # 8
8907 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

Ack, writing our ceremony is at the top of my to do list right now!  We aren’t religious at all, but we’re super outdoorsy.  So we’ll probably include some naturey stuff?  Friendship and love and all that.  We’ll write our vows together and also include the traditional “with this ring, I thee wed” phrase.  No readings or anything.  Our friend whom we’ve both known for about 15 years is doing the ceremony, so I’m sure he’ll include some great stuff too.

@vorpalette:  Would you be my favorite person in the world and send me a copy of that document you got from your officiants (if it’s in digital form)?!?  Our friend is performing our ceremony and we need to write it asap!!  I would owe you big time!  Let me know and I’ll PM you my email address.

Post # 9
8 posts
Newbee

We are having an outdoor ceremony and reception.  I actually just finished our vows on Friday.  He is not religious at all and I am not all that interested in a ceremony that is religiously based.  I am Methodist though so I did end up using some of that wording in the traditional vows portion.  I figure it will be about 15-20 mins tops since neither of us are in to being the center of attention. 

Post # 10
505 posts
Busy bee

We’re having an outdoor ceremony that I guess is a mix of religious tradition and “loving” as you call it.  We’ve picked music and readings that we love, and are fitting a handfasting ritual into a traditionally structured, semi-religious ceremony.  The religious elements we’ve kept are definitely ones that fit us, and we’re both very introverted, so the structural elements are really important for us.  We’d feel so awkward and exposed trying to write our own vows and making up an alternative style ceremony. Plus if I said anything too personal up there, I’d just start sobbing like a beast.  We’re going symbolic!

Post # 11
873 posts
Busy bee

Ours will be held outside in our orchard. We will have a giant wedding party (7 on each side). A native elder si marrying us and we will do the blessing of the four directions (http://www.officianteric.com/blessing-to-the-four-directions/ the first one) and then read our personally written vows and exchange rings.  ohh I can’t wait!

Post # 12
430 posts
Helper bee

Ours will be outside and I would say kinda Short, Sweet, and based on Love. We hired an officiant who is really nice and the type of woman everyone just loves when they meet her. We used the traditional vows but made them our own. We are having 2 readings, one from the bible to honor my religion and one about marriage and love. Then we have a unity glass ceremony which is just like the sand one but its with glass crystals and after we send it back to be made into a beautiful glass sculpture. And then to end we will be breaking the glass to honor FIs religion. 

Post # 13
23 posts
Newbee

Our wedding will be outdoors, non religious, relatively short. It’s pretty casual. My fiances close Aunt is ordained now so she will be doing our ceremony, which is awesome! For our unity aspect of things we found two vintage locks which we will lock together durning the ceremony. We will leave briefly after the ceremony to toss the keys into the river, and  take some pictures by ourselves. We are also writing our own vows! 

Post # 14
469 posts
Helper bee

It will be outside, on the bow, and the boat captain will do the ceremony.  We requested a female captain as FI expressed a preference but doesn’t remember that now.  It will be pretty brief.

Other than that, no idea.  FI brought up our lack of a plan and we’ll start after this upcoming weekend.

I have a mason jar at work that I once brought pumpkin seeds in, and have been putting post-it’s with good vow ideas in it since we set the date.  that strategy hasn’t been as fruitful as I hoped.

Post # 15
3271 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - An amazing non-profit retreat

Outdoors (unless it rains, better not!!) officiated by my bridesmaids momma who I love, a reading by her, non-religious, our own vows, relatively short. 🙂 and then…. we will finally be married!

Post # 16
138 posts
Blushing bee

Tiny registry office. 4 guests as witnesses. My male best friend is walking in. 

Dead simple non religous wording, no reads just the simple lovely ‘i do’ part. We will have 3 of our fav tracks playing softly in the background (must not sing along) 

Then to finish we have an upbeat song to mess about to at the end after we sign papers none of the guests know about the last song i cant wait to see there faces. 🙂 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors