(Closed) August 2013 – Hotel Room Blocks

posted 6 years ago in August 2013
Post # 3
765 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Honestly, I haven’t even thought about room blocks yet. And at least half of our guests will probably be traveling from out-of-town and out-of-state.

If you really want to get it checked off your todo list then go ahead and be insistent (maybe even go into the hotel if its close enough).

I don’t even know when we are suppose to set up room blocks, does anyone know when a good time is? I know what hotels I will be setting blocks up yet, but I don’t know any details about how or when to do this.

Post # 5
269 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Did they give you a reason why they couldn’t put your room block in the contract for the event space? In the Minneapolis + Wisconsin hotels I’ve worked at (not sure if there are geographic differences in how hotels work) we put all of the specs together in your contract at the time of booking, regardless of how far ahead it’s booked. That being said, a lot of hotels can’t officially put in room blocks in their systems over a year in advance, so maybe they are waiting until they can actually enter it in, i.e. August 2012? I do find it strange that if this were the case why they wouldn’t tell you that though.

Unless there is a massive city-wide event going on that will consume the area’s guestrooms (like a national convention), you should be fine even waiting until 3-5 months prior, but for peace of mind follow up with them come August or your October deposit date to finalize the last step. I blocked mine well ahead of time, but mainly because I just wanted to get it off my plate.

Also, I don’t set up my hotel’s wedding blocks with an attrition clause (which holds you liable for a percentage of rooms not picked up); again, maybe other places are different-depending on time of year and occupancy-but I would only feel comfortable signing a courtesy agreement unless I had no other option-and I would always recommend going with a smaller amount of rooms in your block and adding more in as needed. I have so many wedding blocks who are insistent on a large amount of rooms and they very rarely pick up close to the full amount.

Post # 7
707 posts
Busy bee

I was actually thinking about hotel room blocks this morning and I don’t think I’m going to call the hotel to do so until about January or so next year. I think the reason I say January is because one of the “wedding checklists” I’m using from Weddingwire told me that’s when I should 🙂

Post # 8
241 posts
Helper bee

To be safe, I’d make sure that the wedding party/parents at least had rooms blocked should they choose to use them.

Our block was built into the contract – 10 rooms minimum (non-guaranteed) and anything over we’re liable for.

Post # 9
4653 posts
Honey bee

I don’t think I need a room block everyone is within a normal driving distance other than 1 couple…

Post # 10
425 posts
Helper bee

@koi424: I have to agree, the fact they said April would make me want to do it now even more. I would probably try calling or something to be a little more persistent. I know its early but you are better safe than sorry with rooms. Coming from living in NJ, hotels can book up quickly especially in summer.

We have our block already but our wedding is at a ski resort and it was part of our main wedding contract. I don’t think they tend to have too many people up at that time of year but since they asked and all of our guests are traveling we decided to do it a few months ago.

The topic ‘August 2013 – Hotel Room Blocks’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors