(Closed) August 2013 – "Too Early to be Planning?"

posted 5 years ago in August 2013
Post # 3
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Its not too early. My MOH got engaged this weekend and has a 6 month timeline but can’t find anywhere she likes that isn’t booked. Early bird gets the worm 😉

Post # 4
371 posts
Helper bee

The bane of brides everywhere… Sometimes I have to wonder if these people have any clue!  Perhaps in some locations where there’s not a lot of demand or you’re doing something very simple you can plan on a tme frame like that.  But in others–like VB–you’ve got to make plans and start booking at least a year out if not longer.  Long engagements become very helpful at that point…

At least you’ve got us to bounce your ideas off…

Post # 5
4046 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

It’s definitely not too early torp be planning. But it appears to be too early to be sharing your plans with friends and family. Keep up the good work, and you can always  turn to the Bee for opinions!

Post # 6
Hostess
7561 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

It’s less than a year away, those people are crazy! But like people always say, your wedding is more important to you than anyone else. Maybe you can come here for feedback if they don’t want to be involved. 

Post # 7
194 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

It’s not too early at all! our date is July 31st. We have just about everything booked and taken care of besides the limo! 

Post # 8
12831 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I booked my venue 16 months out.  A couple months later, I got a PM from a Bee who tried to book the same date, still over a year away (not a mean one but a, hey great venue message).  And my date is an off-season date, so it’s not even as popular as some of the other ones.  So no, I don’t think you’re too early at all.

Post # 9
2335 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

People who aren’t paying to host a large party say things like “its so far away” because all they have to do is show up.  You have less than a year- that’s definitely not too early!

Post # 10
651 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

It’s not too early. Mine isn’t until next October, but if we didn’t book most of our stuff already it would not be available now. Also, because I started early I have been able to score some amazing deals (70% of my dress, lower venue and food prices locked in, Bridesmaid dresses 20% off, excellent photog package)

They just don’t know about how long it takes to plan a wedding, and most won’t care until closer to the date. So I try not to share unlass they ask me for specifics. 

Post # 11
9234 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

Of course it’s not too early (although you’re WAY further along than me!) But like a PP said, it may be too early to talk about planning with friends and family (besides the ones whose input really matters – I talk to my parents and FI about it a fair bit).  Just keep working but don’t overwhelm everyone else…

When’s your date?  Mine’s August 24  Laughing

Post # 12
Hostess
3371 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

No way! Not too early! I already have our acoustic guitarist, florist, photog, baker, and venue BOOKED! I also have my dress, shoes, and bracelet; we’re getting married on August 4.

I talk to my BFF about it and to his aunt and FFIL about it, but people just don’t understand how long it takes to plan a wedding. Especially since we’re under a year now, getting everything done will make sure that you’re not that stressed the last few months and can just focus on you and FI. 🙂 

Post # 13
425 posts
Helper bee

Definitely not too early! That is really unfortunate they aren’t being supportive and listening but it is hard to understand when you’re not the one planning. FI’s parents are not planners so they have been saying that too but I just keep making plans and informing them, and asking opinions and eventually they have just accepted it!

I would keep trying and just explain that you want to be prepared and not stress out later when you don’t have enough time. 

Sometimes you can even get better deals, just found out our HM room went up $650 but since I put the deposit down earlier we are locked in at the lower rate 🙂

Post # 14
1425 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rosehill Community Center

I almost wish we had a shorter engagement because then there wouldn’t be so many options to choose from!  My photographer research spreadsheet was insane, and so tough to narrow down…  But in reality, I am so glad that we do have all this time, we wouldn’t have gotten our venue or photographer if we hadn’t booked them a year+ before the wedding!  I had our venue and date booked on April 1st, and that was SUCH a relief.  Plus more time for the fun stuff later!

Post # 15
3697 posts
Sugar bee

Those people have obviously never planned a wedding. We already have our venue, caterer, photographer, DJ, and my dress.

Post # 16
212 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

It’s not too early! My date is after yours and I’ve been planning for months!

Hang in there! People often get awkward when it comes to weddings and don’t know how best to help.

The topic ‘August 2013 – "Too Early to be Planning?"’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors