@Tatum:the other thing is that there is a lot of stuff on those lists you don’t need right away. Depending on the space you have and your desire to be prepared in advance you may or may not want those things now (like a high chair or bigger car seat, which you won’t touch for at least 6 months).
Here were my essentials in the first few months:
– Bassinet with sheets (we used a pack n play bassinet)
– Infant car seat, with a Snuzzler, and an adapter for the stroller
– Infant carrier (we had a Moby and now a Becco, similar to the Ergo)
– Changing table, cover, those slips to put on the cover so you don’t have to wash the cover all the time
– Diapers and wipes
– Infant bath tub, baby wash, baby lotion, baby towels (you could use yours, but baby ones are cute 🙂
– Aden & Anais swaddling blankets – ESSENTIAL!!!!!
– Bottles (just get 2, so you can figure out what your baby likes – if Boyfriend or Best Friend you will ilkely introduce a bottle of pumped milk in the first couple months)
– If Boyfriend or Best Friend: Pump and accessories (although you might want to wait until after baby is born for the pump so you know what you need – if you have a hard time with milk supply you will need to rent a hospital grade pump), Nursing cover
– Diaper Bag
– Very few clothes – we got a TON after our son was born. but you will change the baby a lot so have enough onesies on hand – you can keep the tags on if you want to return them later, but have some washed and ready to go
– Baby monitor
– Baby grooming/health kit – baby nail clippers, baby mittens (so they don’t scratch their face), thermometer, baby tylenol, etc
Less essential, but things I personally found very useful or have heard others do:
– Bouncy chair – I found this essential early on, a good place to put the baby when I showered! he is 8 months and still uses it
– A mobile – great entertainment after baby is 6ish weeks old
– White noise machine (if you live somewhere loud)
– Baby swing – we didn’t use it much, but many people think this is an essential!
– Bottle warmer if you are going to use bottles (breastmilk or fomula)