- 3 years ago
- Wedding: January 2012
When I was pregnant, I searched far & wide for natural birth stories on here. Since they’re so few & far between I figure (at the request of @AutumnMrs) that the bee deserved another candid, unanaesthetized birth story (chanelling my inner @iarebridezilla)
Originally, I had wanted to have a natural birth so I was followed by a midwife & we’d made arrangements to have a wate rbirth at their center. I read Ina May, birth stories & got prepared to do this thing the way our great-grandmas did! Unfortunately my body had other plans.
On Wednesday the 31st (40 weeks exactly) at 3am I gushed a little puddle in my bed but then no more watery fluid so I thought nothing of it. I didn’t leak again until 7pm so we’re still not sure if my water broke at 3am or 7pm but when I went to see my midwife at 9pm she confirmed it was my water. There was meconium in the fluid but baby sounded fine so decided we would stimulate labour the next morning.
Thursday I got to the birthing center at 8am. Started taking blue-black cohosh & pumping. We did a stretch & sweep which got me to 3 cm, 50% effaced, and then DH & I went for a long walk. When we got back I took my first dose of castor oil (1/4 cup) which sat ok but at 2:30 when we went for the 2nd dose my bowels just went nuts… This will be a recurring theme for the evening so turn away now if you’re not interested. Pretty much – I got cleaned out!
Things progressed slowly as my (optional) transfer of care deadline (7pm) approached. The midwives have 24hrs from water breaking until they MUST consult the OB’s at the hospital. I had contractions but still wasn’t labour.
By 6ish I was feeling really sick to my stomach and running a fever of 101F. My midwife discussed my options (stay or go to the hospital): She would support us either way. I had her print me out the data on the “risks” and management of water breaking early. DH read them to me between contractions and it was pretty clear that with the fever, we should go. My midwife gave me some gravol and we were on our way!
We got to the hospital at 7:40. I was 4cm and 75% effaced! Yay! I tried to convince them to only give me antibiotics (no pitocin) but baby’s HR would decel during contractions. That + risk of infection = get baby out ASAP and I needed continuous fetal monitoring (which I DIDN’T want)! They started me on pitocin and would increase it every half hour.
My contractions were so strong and all up in my pelvis! DH would squeeze the sides of my hips together to apply counter-pressure. I declined a cervical check at 10pm and told the nurse I didn’t want to hear about anaesthesia. The next check was at 11pm. I felt like I had worked my ass off for 3hrs with this aching pelvis. I was so devastated when she told me I was still at 4 and upped my pitocin for what felt like the dozenth time. I can’t help but wonder if she measured wrong or if she caused my cervix to contract cause of her rough examination.
Either way, I turned to DH and asked him if maybe it would be ok if we got the epi so then we could both rest. I felt like I would be like this all night and between the fever and pain, I just wanted to make it to the end without a C-section. He smiled, said no firmly and I had another contraction.
The next few were a little more bearable even though they were stronger. I’m not sure if they had moved out of my pelvis or if DH was pre-empting all of them by watching the contraction monitor and applying awesome counter pressure.
At 11:40 my midwife, who I had sent to rest, came back. I told her I had to poo, which the nurse and midwife took as a “let’s check your cervix!” sign but I was so discouraged I declined. I went to the bathroom which was still 100% liquid poo. When I got up, I had a contraction and just felt this overwhelming need to push. I dropped to a low squat and bore down which felt right. My midwife insisted on a check.
11:50pm – 6 cm dilated. More pitocin! At this point every contraction came with the urge to push. Everyone told me not to & I was so scared baby was sunny-side so I’d tear my cervix pushing too early. They put me on my side, legs closed but every contraction ended on me bearing down, no matter how hard I tried. I vocalised (something I had previously thought was hippy BS) through them for another hour. I’m pretty sure I pooped a dozen times during this stage.
They checked me again at 12:40. I still had low expectations. The nurse smiled: “you’re almost 10! Just a little lip here I’ll move and you can push.” My response: “What? Seriously? FUCK YEAH” and high 5ed everyone in the room.
I turned over at 12:50 into a low kneel still pooping but DH & the midwife took care of it. I could feel her crowning the whole time… So much hair! When birth was imminent, the Dr came in and had me lay on my back. He felt around inside and said he’d have to help me get her out since the decels we had been caused by the cord being wrapped around her neck TWICE (not surprised, with the way she always moved in there).
A couple of pushes later and she was out (1:19 am)! Blue at first but screaming. Apgar was 9 & 9. We did skin to skin for a good hour, delayed cord clamping (which I then got to cut) and had a feed while the Dr stitched up my 2nd degree tear.
After that we cuddled, I tried to pee but could only poo. When I finally did pee, they took out my IV, I showered and we all went to sleep. 🙂 I continued to shit the bed, apologetically til about 6-7 am.
I didn’t believe I could have an unanesthesized birth with pitocin. I just want you ladies to know its possible, & not to quit cause things can get moving REMARKABLY fast! 🙂