Post # 1
At 31 weeks my baby measured at 31 weeks and now at 36 weeks she is measuring at 34 weeks. She is in the 19th percentile so it is technically considered in the normal range but I’m worried about the sudden drop. Baby does only have a 2 vessel cord so growth restrictions are a concern. Does anyone have any advice or insight?
I had an ultrasound last week and the baby was less than 10 percent so they wanted to take her at 37 weeks and now the ultrasound today said 19th percent (went to a high risk specialist who focuses on only maternal ultrasounds) I’m not sure what I want to do.
Post # 2
What exactly is making them want to take the baby out earlier? What are the risks of letting you go until your due date?
Post # 3
Have you dropped at all? I measured 3 weeks ahead for a while, then at the end it changed. Doctor said as I dropped I didn’t measure as far ahead anymore.
Post # 4
roxy821: No advice hun, just wanted to send some positive thoughts and hope that baby is healthy and ok!!
Cory_loves_this_girl: I *think* and I’m not sure I remember exactly, but I’m pretty sure that most babies with growth issues (IUGR- intrauterine growth restriction) are not receiving proper nutrition from the placenta or umbilical cord, so they need to be born sooner so they can get the appropriate nutrients needed for growth.
Post # 5
My daughter was diagnosed with IUGR and I was induced at 38w 4d. I had a very stressful pregnancy and they think there may have been cord issues. She was below the 10th percentile.
The first thing to remember is ultrasounds can be off. Even with small babies.
The other thing is to (if you haven’t already) have a biophysical done to see how baby is doing all around. I had multiple BPP’s that showd my Dirty Delete was practice breathing, moving lots, placenta was not aging, etc. That enabled me to keep her in as long as she was in there.
The last ultrasound I had, three days before delivery, they anticipated she’d be 4lbs 9oz.
She was 5lbs 5oz and completely healthy. We did have a bout of jaundice, but she never dropped below her birth weight like most newbies. Never needed additional care other than extra blood sugar testing. She breastfed like a champ too, which for many small babies, can be challenging. She definitely was making up for the nutrition she didn’t get inside.
It’s so hard to know what to do, when you don’t want to have baby early, but staying inside could also be threatening.
Like I said above, get the biophysical/stress testing done to see how baby is doing in other aspects, and with your doctors, move on from there.
Good luck! I hope you LO comes out healthy and strong like mine did 🙂
Post # 6
DaneLady: Yep, you’re right about the IUGR. Since baby is not receiving what they need on the outside, sometimes being born earlier is a much better option.
Post # 7
DaneLady: Oh okay, that makes a lot of sense!
Post # 8
roxy821: I was diagnosed with possible IUGR at a 36w u/s to check my placenta position. Baby was measuring 21 days behind gestation and coming in at under the 5th% in size. They estimated she was 4lbs6oz. Because she was less than 5th% they decided a 37w induction was best for her. I was induced at 37w and had her at 37w1d (38 hours later). She came out at 6lbs3.4oz and 19in. She wasn’t IUGR, just measured incorrectly on the u/s. Follow your heart and take what your doctors (the experts in pregnancy) say in this situation. Knowing what I do now (that baby wasn’t IUGR and it was just a bad u/s), I still wouldn’t change things because it wouldn’t have been worth the risk to take her to term had she really been growth restricted. She’ll be 14w tomorrow and is super healthy.
What are the doctors suggesting that you do?
Post # 9
roxy821: I had a friend who was told that her baby was waaaay on the small side, like single digit percentile – she was worried out of her mind and they got sent to a specialist and had to spend all this money on the appointment and the specialist was like “I don’t know what their problem is but your baby is fine…” – kind of sounds like your story.. I guess it’s not very helpful, but her baby was just perfect and she went into labor on her own. But all in all, be open and honest with doctors that you trust, and it will all work out – good luck to you and baby!