- 2 years ago
- Wedding: November 2012
I am in another pickle. I started my new job almost two months ago and I just encountered a situation that has me questioning whether I need to move on AGAIN.
This is a follow-up of my previous thread: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/two-job-offers-only-hours-to-decide/#axzz3A7wuK26v
I ended up taking the job with the new company. All was well the first two weeks. Then I found out one of my team members was getting promoted to another team and he would be leaving in two weeks. I would be taking on all of his work. Alright, no big deal I thought. I started training with him but only got time with him about 30% of his day as he was focused on his new position and getting acclimated. Now he’s off the team and I’m finding that I’m going to be learning a lot of this on my own. He pretty much checked out. Again, I thought to myself: I’ve done this before and I’m smart…I’ll figure it out eventually. Then last Friday happened. My manager came up to me and looked cherry red…but he wasn’t mad at me. Our Director had just told him that I would be taking on more work. Apparently one full time position was not enough. They doubled my current work load. The current work that I’d pretty much been left to hang out to dry on. I had expressed to my manager that since I did not get a lot of time to train with my predecessor that it would just take a bit more time for me to get up to speed. I’m already working like a beast to try to get out of the office between 6 and 8pm. Now I’m feeling like I’m experiencing the good ole bait and switch. Here’s why:
When I interviewed they told me that the place is a ghost town by 6pm. They claimed to have work life balance. They told me I would be working on one thing and then a week before I started they called to tell me that I would be working on something else…and the manager was on vacation so I couldn’t talk to him before I started (I had already left my old job though). Work life balance is important to me…I’ve worked a job where I practically lived at the office and I just can’t stand the thought of doing it again.
I’ve been told that they’re bringing another person onto our team to take on the work load. But when I asked “when?” they couldn’t even give me a date range. I know from experience that this will be at least a 2-3 month ordeal because of the type of work and training. Now I’m just a mix of upset and mad. I had a formal meeting with the Director this morning and told her my concerns…how I was afraid the work load would lead to errors and things accidently falling through the cracks…and how I was already working really hard to try to call it a day at a decent hour. Her response was “just try to hang in there.”
I’m in a field where I could easily find a new position within a month. I have options if I want to persue them. What would you do ladies? Any advice is helpful!