- 6 years ago
My fiance and I are beginning to plan our winter wedding for December 2013. We are planning on taking a road trip sometime in the next few weeks to scope out some venues but are having a hard time finding places that fit our wish list. So here it is and maybe some of you can help us narrow it down:
1. I love all things Christmas/winter/and snow-laden and my fiance loves all things hot/summer/beachey so the compromise is that we will have the wedding in a cold and snowy location and then spend our honeymoon on the beach. So, I would like our wedding location to be thoroughly inundated with snow to take full advantage of the season! And to have a very Christmasey/wintry feel. We live in NYC and the majority of my family lives here as well, whereas his family will be travelling from South America and our friends are quite literally scattered all over the globe. We are thinking Vermont for now but are open to other New England locations.
2. I would really like to hold the ceremony in a barn but the reception elsewhere. He’s Jewish and I am Catholic so any religious houses of worship are really not going to work for us. I love that a barn is a blank slate, and feels almost like a rustic chapel with the tall beamed ceilings. It would also be great if the barn had some beautiful vistas we could take advantage of for photos.
3. For the reception, we would love something either rustic but chic or charmingly and distinctively New England like an inn or bed and breakfast. I believe our wedding will probably be between 80-100 people and the space must be large enough to accomodate the guests for a seated dinner and dancing but still feel intimate. This is part of the reason I am not interested in the barn for the reception because it feels a bit cavernous to me.
4. This is probably quite obvious but the barn and reception location should be relatively close to each other, and a comfortable driving distance (maybe no more than 20-30 minutes or 40 for two really ideal locations).
5. Lastly, it would be great if the reception location were in a quaint town or near some other attraction so that we could provide some activities for our weekend guests.
That’s pretty much everything! We are open to suggestions and would love input from people who know the area well. Our budget is highly flexible as well so we are open to any and all suggestions.
Thank you so much for your input and advice :]