(Closed) Bed Bath & Beyond Registry/Knives

posted 8 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
573 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Hmmm…we regisetered there for a celphalon set…the 21-piece we registered for was like $300, but they had a 17-piece that was less expensive.

The nice thing about BB&B, is that when you register for a set like this, they will also register you for each single piece that makes up the set….For example, in our set each knife was around $20 — so, if our parents/guests didn’t want to splurge for the whole set we could ultimately get it if a few people bought a few knives, etc.  OR you could return the single knives you get (if you come close to completing the set), get a gift card, and then buy the set during the completion event where you get 20% off EVERYTHING left on your registry!

Post # 5
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

we got the henckels international eversharp pro 13-piece block set. it’s about $100. we just got it so i can’t say all that much about it, but so far, so good. they’re very helpful at bb&b. when we registered, we had someone with us so for things like knives that we didn’t know anything about, we could ask lots of questions and they led us to what was best for us.

Post # 6
573 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@ Soon2be — I don’t think the individual knives would come off, but you can update your registry online.  So, if you happened to notice that someone got you the whole set, you could remove the individual pieces.

Also, BB&B also has a TON of different things.  We are going to register for luggage, bedding, etc.

I would also look into registering at your local furniture store…why not?

Post # 7
1336 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

We went with the Wustof set, but we now want to add the pieces individually since it was suggested by BBB staff that in case you get more separate pieces (which is more likely than the set) you can return them and get put the credit towards the set. 

Post # 8
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

we registered for their Calphalon set that is $200.  But we also added the individual set of 8 steak knifes.  So hopefully we get at least those and then can use gift cards to buy the full set.

Post # 9
41 posts
  • Wedding: July 2010

I hate to say it, but if you want a really nice set that’s going to last through your marriage, you’ve got to spend more than that.  I found out that you can register on for Cutco knives on their website, cutco.com.  (My mom got a set of Cutco knives a while back and they are worth every single penny!)  I registered for a block set that includes steak knives, then you can break it up into individual gifts so people don’t have to spend a lot of money (one person can buy the block, another can buy 4 steak knives, etc).  I linked the Cutco registry page to my wedding website so that people would know it’s there.  I’d totally recommend it!  

Post # 10
1093 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: Private home

We ended up buying the Caphalon Katana set with our completion discount – they were amazing! 

Post # 11
169 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I have a different take here…

Unless you are Bobby Flay or Emeril, odds are, you aren’t going to use every knife in a 13-piece set, so you are actually probably better off registering for four knives of very good quality. i cook A LOT and love kitchen gadgets and thingabobs, and i can’t emphasize enough the importance of a GOOD KNIFE. it’s your most-important kitchen tool. Try one of the Henckels or Wusthof brands that are less-expensive. you can probably get all four of these knives for under $200, like you were looking for. and you wont have 9 extra knives sitting in your block that you never use:

1. chef’s knife – should be about 9-10 inches. big, sturdy. this is for chopping vegetables, mincing stuff, anything really. this should be the crown jewel of your knife set. you’ll use it forever, for everything, so money spent here is a good value.

2. serrated edge knife –  longer, 12-14 inches (you can spend a little less here too). this is for bread and actually also good for thinly slicing tomatoes.

3. paring knife – small 3-4 inches. this is for little things. i cant even really think of what i use it for right now. but it’s small and always comes in handy.

4. sharpening steel – this looks like a sword and you use it to sharpen your chef knife and paring knife. there’s nthing worse than a dul knife!

5. steak knives – you know what these are. one set of 4 or 6 should be plenty. how often are you going to have 12 people over for t-bones?

And for my money, that’s all you need. You should be able to get a top-quality chef’s knife for around $80 (and you will have it forever and use it every day); the other knives will cost you less, and trust me, you will never use all of those other wacky knives in your block that you were so concerned about not spending money on. (seriously, are you ever planning on fileting a whole fish? ididntthinkso)

hope this helps!

Post # 12
556 posts
Busy bee

I love Wustof knives. Originally I thought I wanted Henkel but they have been outsourcing and most on no longer made in Germany and the quality has gone down IMO. Its funny because I live in Germany and was going to bring back knvies as my present to myself, and I have trouble finding made in Germany Henkels now.

Post # 13
83 posts
Worker bee

I agree with mayeast. and i also think that you should go in and feel them. if BBB won’t let you, find the same set someplace else and try it out before registering for them at BBB. we have the katana, from calphalon, but only have the knives that mayeast mentioned and don’t really need more (maybe a boning knife, but we’ve gotten by without it). and it’s sort of a fluke that we liked each knife by the same line and manufacturer.

Post # 14
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We’re registering for individual knives, and if we get enough we’ll trade them in for a set.  We just don’t think anyone will buy the $300 set.

The topic ‘Bed Bath & Beyond Registry/Knives’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors