(Closed) Being Honest: Moissy & Diamond mix

posted 6 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Moissy pass as diamond?
    Yes! : (59 votes)
    49 %
    No! : (52 votes)
    43 %
    Yes, but not in your specific setting : (3 votes)
    2 %
    No, but maybe in your specific setting : (7 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    438 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

@LoveliestLove: First of all, GORGEOUS wedding set!! Second, I don’t think that the majority of people *truly* pay that much attention to looking critically at a stone to see if it’s a diamond or not. I think if you’ve got a white, sparkly stone set in an engagement ring or wedding band, people are likely to assume it’s a diamond unless told otherwise. I have a moissanite e-ring and I haven’t kept it a secret from people. However, up until I tell people what it is, it’s been very obvious to me that people thought it was a diamond (asking what carat weight it was, etc). So, I think you can do whatever you want, and it’s very unlikely that most people will notice the difference. Yes, moissanite is more sparkly than a diamond (one of the reasons I love it!), but most people aren’t likely to critically look at the stone and the way it’s cut to try to differentiate it from a diamond. That’s my opinion and has been my experience, anyway!

Post # 4
    14304 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I dont get the point.  You have a nice real probably more expensive diamond that you want to just put away and not wear/use, just to have a bigger stone appear as if you have a bigger diamond.  I would save the money all together and just wear the orginal diamond with pride.  Sure, I would love to have had myself a 2ct moissy sparkler, if I had gotten that as my e-ring in the first place.  Now that I have a diamond my husband spent so much effort, time, and money to get me, there’s no way I would replace it with a moissy then pass it off as something its not.  Not that anyone else really gives a crap what is on my finger either way.  haha

I think your rings are lovely anyways

Post # 6
    132 posts
    Blushing bee

@LoveliestLove: I swear I’m not trying to be snarky, so I apologize in advance if it comes across that way.  I’m really just genuinely curious:  if you are happy with the ring as is, why upgrade? 

If you are set on upgrading and worried about the stones not matching, maybe you could just upgrade later and get a diamond.  If you’re definitely going to do it now, I doubt most people will look at the ring closely enough to be able to tell it isn’t a diamond.  Then again, I’m not much of a jewelry person, and a humble non-diamond engagement ring wearer myself…so maybe I’m off base on that one.

Post # 7
    Hostess
    11174 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

I like the PP am confused. If you are happy with the ring as is I don’t understand why you would replace a diamond with a Moissanite.

If you really want something new perhaps get a different piece of jewelry altogether (regardles of the stone)? Maybe some earrings, RHR or necklace? That way you keep the ring you love and mentioned your DH worked so hard for while adding to your collection.

Post # 9
    458 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

@LoveliestLove: I say get the moissy if you want a bigger stone but don’t want the price. If you want to pass if off as a diamond than that’s your choice and I don’t see why anyone else should care (I personally wouldn’t but again that’s my choice).

As for being able to tell, I’m not sure. I know I’ve seen other women on here who have halo settings with diamonds and moissanite center stones so hopefully they’ll see this and be able to help. I do have a moissanite e-ring with a diamond band though and there is a tiny difference. I’m not sure if it’s because of the size of the moissanite compared to the diamonds but the moissanite seems clearer.

My concern would be (and I don’t know much about upgrading stones with an existing setting) can a stone be upgraded in a halo setting? Wouldn’t the halo need to be expanded to fit around the center stone? Other than that, do what makes you happy and you feel comfortable about doing.

Here’s a pic and video if you wanted to see the moissy and diamonds together.

Moissanite E-ring, Diamond Band

Wedding Ring Set Video

As for those confused about why she’s upgrading, I’m pretty sure (though I could be wrong) that she wants to upgrade (though she’s happy with her ring) because her husband offered to upgrade the center stone as a “push” gift (I’m assuming labor present?) but she doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on a bigger diamond hence going with moissanite. How many of us would turn down a bigger stone lol.

ETA:If color might be an issue, the new Mira Moissanite is supposed to be whiter than an unenhanced moissanite (my moissanite is unenhanced and Mira Moissanite seems to have replaced the “enhanced” moissanite) so you could always look into that.

Post # 10
    13101 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

Yeah – I’m with the other PPs in being confused.

If I had a ring I loved, I wouldn’t want to replace the diamond with a Moissy just to give the appearance of a bigger diamond.

Why not get Moissy earrings or a Moissy (or other alternative stone) ring as a Right Hand ring for your push present?

@noenyu: I’d turn down a bigger stone.  I can’t fathom replacing or changing the ring that DH spent so much time picking out for me.

Post # 11
    14304 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

@noenyu: Well, I would turn down a larger moissy as an upgrade for my ering.  My dream size would have been a 2ct, and with moissy thats easily affordable.  But I have a 1.3ct diamond and though the 2ct moissy would be significantly larger, I would not replace my e-ring with it.

Here’s another pic for comparison. The top is moissy.

Post # 12
    2135 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I agree with other posters: Why replace it? Just get the moissy and wear it as a right hand ring, and keep your original ring on your left hand. Then you have double the bling!

Post # 13
    458 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

@Mrs.KMM: Personally, I would too lol. My fiancé picked out the size of my stone (1.5ct) and I thought it was too big. Part of me actually wanted to change to a smaller stone but my fiancé chose that ring (and I get really attached to things quickly) so I wouldn’t ever change my ring. On the other side of things though, there are a lot of women who would and do and that’s their choice.

Post # 14
    3176 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I get it. You want a bigger ring. I don’t think its that crazy of a concept.

I think you could pass it as a diamond. Most people aren’t going to question it anyway. My ring came from Kays and someone asked me if it was a custom design, lol. Far from it! People will think whatever they want to think so do whatever you want.

Post # 16
    Hostess
    11174 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

@noenyu: I think the key word is “stone” here. While I agree I wouldn’t turn down a larger diamond (no way no how) I’d turn down a larger “stone” to replace my diamond. So to each their own as always.

@LoveliestLove: So to move on from the upgrading issue to the mixed set issue I would say it depends. I’ve seen lovely rings on WB that to me didn’t appear to be a diamond (turned out to be moissanite) and for other settings I couldn’t tell the difference.

Outside of the bee I highly doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference, especially with typical social setting distances (in other words no zoomed in large posted photos).

The topic ‘Being Honest: Moissy & Diamond mix’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors