Super simple, but I like giving people really nice tins/containers filled with this caramel chex mix stuff that is SO FREAKING ADDICTING. It’s so easy anyone can do it, and everyone loves it!
SIMPLE & ADDICTING CARAMEL CHEX MIX
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3/4 cup white corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1-2 cups chopped pecans, almonds, and/or walnuts (adjust mix to your liking)
1-2 cups pretzels
1 (12oz) package Chex cereal (rice is my family’s favorite, but corn or wheat will also work)
1. Preheat oven to 275 F. Spray a large roasting pan generously with baking spray.
2. Pour the cereal, nuts, and pretzels in two large bowls or one extra large bowl (you’ll need space to stir them).
3. Microwave butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl for 2 minutes. Stir together until well-mixed. The butter will want to float on top, so you’ll have to do some creative stirring (stir in large vertical loops, pulling up the bottom and folding it over the top so that the butter gets pulled into the rest of the mixture).
4. Pour the butter/syrup/sugar mix over top of the cereal/nut/pretzel mix and stir to coat as evenly as possible.
5. Spread the coated mix in the roasting pan and bake for 1 hour. Every 15 minutes, pull the pan out of the oven and stir the mix really well. The more you stir, the more even you’ll coat all the pieces and the better the final mix will be.
6. Spread the mix on sheets of wax paper to cool. Be sure to break up any large clumps or it’ll harden together in a big lump.
7. Serve to anyone you want to fatten up. (Just kidding, but it really is impossible to stop munching on this stuff once you get started!)