Long time lurker making my first post debut. You guys are so supportive and helpful so I thought I should try to post. I need your help making a decision. I am normally quite clear on what I want to do, I don’t know why I am having a difficult time.
I have been offered two temp positions with by two different staffing companies.
Option 1: Work for 18 months as client services representative for an investment firm. So far the pros are are that it is decent pay with decent hours. Here is why I am uneasy about taking up this offer
1) I signed up with this particular agency three works ago so I do not have any history with them and we do not really have a rapport. I am unsure of whether they a fair staffing firm, if they will get me support when I need it and generally if they are a good company to work for.
2) The staffing manager called me in for a group interview for the position. That alone turned me off. I do not like group interviews especially if they are unnecessary. I decided to go anyway and check it out. The Interview was not even an interview. The staffing manager spent an hour selling this job to us, telling us how lucky we were to obtain this position etc. We filled out some paperwork, etc.
3) I will not get a chance to interview with the company I will actually be working for. This is important to me because it helps me have a feel for the culture of the organization, working conditions, etc. I have found mixed reviews on the company online so I’m unsure.
4) It sounds like a call/contact center job. The staffing manager explained that that there will no phones at our desk. We will be getting orders from clients online and then excecuting them. There is a team lead in the room, we share a desk with someone else and she has a bunch of people working for the firm. I am not interested in a call centre as I have had they are miserable places to work.
Option 2: Work as receptionist for non-profit for one month after which I might or might not be hired. This offer is from another staffing agency I have worked with for six months. I have a great rapport with the staffing managers and they have placed me on several short term assignments. They are very supportive of me and generally offer me positions as soon as they come in before offering them to someone else. Here is why I am uneasy about his one.
1) Again no interview for this one with the company. I have no idea of the organizational culture, working conditions etc. The manager at that company is away on vacation. Their receptionist quit suddenly and they need someone asap.
2) I am currently a receptionist temp at another company that ends tomorrow. While I love the company, I do not like being a receptionist. I am exhausted everyday after work as I am naturally introverted and the role is very taxing for me.
3) The hours are not ideal for me.
However, I need to take one of these jobs as I need the money. I need to make a decision by end of business day tomorrow. I don’t know what to do . Thoughts?