- 3 years ago
- Wedding: June 2016
hello bees! i’m going any and everywhere to get info/help in making a big decision, so of course i’ll post to the bee! haha! I’ve got to chose between two career opportunities… After getting a master’s that i felt didn’t pay off and working super hard at 2 jobs for the past 2 years since then, i’ve finally got a couple of good breaks to choose from:
Accept graduate school offer:
the school is Ivy League and the program is known as the #1 program in the world for the field. it would be a shift in field from what I do now, which could be a breath of fresh air, but I also can’t say for certain that i will love the culture. i wouldn’t be forced to be in corporate america, but prbly would be. the monetary potential is good, the avg starting salaries are $80k US and you get actively recruited straight from the program, even the internship they put you in pays on avg $1,300/wk. From there the future is really up to you- ppl who take their careers to the limit make, well, stupid money. i had assumed i was def going until i got the job offer.
Accept job offer:
the job would be a director position, i’d be running the local office in a company within my current field. it would be a culmination of my current career history, and would make use of the master’s i already have. they are offering $60k to start (which is a big jump from my current day job). i asked about the future and they told me the person that had my job got promoted to running a HQ office and now makes double what she started at. she did my job for about 2 yrs. that is just one ex, as she is not going anywhere so i would not necessarily be in that same position. if not for the school option i’d be taking this offer in a heartbeat.
why I want to do #1: because i am an academic type and would love to go to an ivy league school and have that learning experience, because i think the long term pay out could be silly money, because i think i will be able to get many of the things i’m looking for in a job out of it in the end
what i’m concerned about w #1: is corporate culture right for me (tho i am never stuck), bc i would have to uproot myself and my FI and move there, then potentially move anywhere in the country leaving behind a lot of people i care about and the close social network we’ve built in our current city, is this all necessary
why i want to do #2: because it is the reward for the work i’ve already done and time i’ve put into this career path, because i would love to be the boss!, bc i will be able to get many of the things i’m looking for in a job right here right now, we could stay where we are, bc before this school came along i would be all about this
what i’m concerned about w #2: will i regret turning down #1?? would i be walking away from a lottery ticket and a life changing opportunity?? will option 1 put me in a whole other league in life, both on intellectual challenge and financially?