(Closed) Black Suits & Charcoal Suits??

posted 7 years ago in Grooms/men
Post # 3
86 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2011 - Greenville Country Club

I like the combination of black and charcoal, especially because it makes the groom stand out. Will you have them wear matching or contrasting ties/vests/cummerbunds?

Post # 4
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’m thinking about doing the same thing. Some of the guys were in a previous wedding where they bought charcoal suits. I think I’m going to let the rest of them either buy or rent a black (or charcoal if possible) suit and just get matching ties. I hate asking people to spend money, especially on a suit. Mostly because many of our groomsman will never wear a suit again – they’re just not “suit” people.

Post # 5
46137 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

If they are wearing suits they won’t need cummerbunds.

If they wear the same shirt, it can be the unifying factor. The best man and groomsmen can wear the same ties. The groom can wear a different tie.

Post # 6
374 posts
Helper bee

That’s really fine.  You could alternate them when they are standing black/grey/black/grey.

You can have them wear the same clean crisp white shirt and matching neck ties; or if you prefer a colored shirt with the same tie.

What are the bridal attendants wearing? 

Post # 7
120 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Yes it is and that is what I am doing!! 🙂  I am in love with this picture below.  We are doing groom in black tux, groomsmen in grey suits.  It’ll look awesome!

Post # 9
374 posts
Helper bee

Hi Diasy bride!  I’m not sure about the sash because some body types look ghastly with sashes and some look tantabulous!  If everyone looks good in a shash, why not?  But, everyone may not select a dress that goes w/a shash. 

What about letting everyone buy whatever black dress style they look good in; but, you set the parameters…length for example, neck line [no cleavage for example].  Maybe you can ask them to buy their shoes in lapsis or have them dyed the same color so they are uniform.  Or maybe you can find shoes in lapsis on line and each can buy whatever style their foot looks good in.  If that’s too ‘iffy’ maybe you decide on a silver or soft gold shoe or a black shoe [and you buy lapsis shoe jewelry for everyone] and they select the style.   And you can do lapsis flowers, or a lapsis tone necklace you give as a gift. 

Have you thought about having all the men buy their suits instead of renting?  Some places have great Easter sales and they can go in and buy the size that fits.  It may cost $200.00 but that is around the cost of a tux rental and they get to keep the suits!  Everyone needs a suit for something or another.  If they don’t have one, your wedding will be a good place to start!

Keep in touch!  The photo of the greg suits w/the black for the groom really pops!  I LOVE IT.

Post # 11
227 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I REALLY don’t mean to be Debbie Downer or to put you back at un-ease, but I’m wondering if people will think the best man is actually the groom since he’s the odd man out in the color scheme?  Like the photo that was posted where the groom is in black and everyone else is in grey?  I love the idea of mixing and matching, but like I said, with there only being one that’s different (and your dad of course), it might confuse people.

But that’s just my opinion, and you can certainly tell me to ‘stick it’ if you like.  ;D

Post # 13
94 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

We are doing this too!  We are having 70 ppl.  Only one groomsmen and one bridesmaid.  My fiance is wearing a black slim suit, and his brother will be wearing a dark charcoal one.  Both white shirts and black ties.  Very classy! 

I think it will look suave ; )

Post # 15
227 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

@daisybride74: “if no one knows who the groom is, than they shouldn’t be there.”  That made me laugh- truer words have never been spoken!!  =D

And yeah, I wouldn’t worry about it either if it’s a darker charcoal suit- I know you said charcoal too, but I was looking at the photo and got a lighter grey in my head.  I think what you have going will be great!

Post # 16
94 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@daisybride74: Yes!  You sound just like me!  White shirts and slim black ties will be our choice.  My sister can wear whatever she chooses!  As long as shes happy.

The topic ‘Black Suits & Charcoal Suits??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors