Blew dress budget by $1000, feeling somewhat ill…

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
281 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

My dress was over budget and I haven’t even ordered assessories yet such as crinoline.

It is alright to splurge but you might need to consider cutting back elsewhere to stick to your overall budget. I’ve cut out a tiara/hair band/accessory and make-up artists, pampering before the wedding and flowers.

I wouldn’t feel I could cut anything relating the the guests as I would feel guilty walking down the aisle in an expensive dress. I also felt I have to get an extra treat for my maids.

Our budget is already blown. We splurged on photographer a bit and I still want a double tier cathedral veil.

Post # 4
641 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

My dress was also over budget. I only planned on spending about $2000 but the dress I bought is double that! I have quite a bit of time to pay it off though plus my FI told me to get my dream dress and that we’d make it work. 

Post # 6
132 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@moonbride:  I had the exact same thing happen! My mom and I aren’t super close, so I was surprised when her and my aunt asked if they could come dress shopping with me and my MOH in a nieghboring city about 90 minutes away. After a long and unsuccessful day of dress shopping we were walking back to the car and saw a little bridal boutique, so we stopped. Long story short, I wasn’t seeing anything I liked until we were walking out the door and I stopped to look at a dress. The sales woman insisted I try it on. I figured… what could it hurt? I’m tired and ready to go home. I’m not gonna like it. 

Well, I did like it. As soon as I came out everyone gasped and started oohing and ahhing. My aunt burst into tears. But the dress was almost $3k and my budget was $2k. My Mom offered to split the dress with me. It was just the whole moment – my aunt crying, all the sales women stopping by to see me in the dress, my Mom and BFF being there with me… so I agreed. Even though I knew my Mom didn’t really have the $1500 to spend on my dress.

Anyways, we bought the dress and I spent the next few days debating whether or not to cancel it. Everyone (my Mom included) convinced me that if I loved the dress then it was worth it, that I was just being too practical. But I couldn’t wrap my mind around spending $3k on a dress when our whole budget was $15k-$20k.

In the end, I kept the dress. But I still have a tiny twinge of regret. Not because I don’t like the dress. I just wonder if it was worth the price. Especially now when we’re only a few weeks away and all the little expenses we didn’t budget for are popping up.

So my advice is — if you are 100% in love with the dress and think it’s worth the price and couldn’t imagine finding anything else like it, buy it. But if you’re a practical person who could love another dress and can’t imagine spending that much on a dress, cancel the order. It’ll save you a lot of heartache down the road.

I hope that helps! Good luck. I’m sure you’ll make the right decision, whatever you decide!

Post # 7
2394 posts
Buzzing bee

It’s OK to splurge!

If you love the dress and you know this will make you shine from the inside on your wedding day, it’s worth it.

You only went over $1,000, not $10,000. This is chump change over the course of a lifetime. 

You can save money other ways in the years to come. That extra $1,000 will be long forgotten after the wedding, and then for the rest of your life you’ll have those beautiful photos and memories of your gorgeous dress. 

Congratulations on finding a beautiful gown that you love!

Post # 8
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@moonbride:  It’s okay to splurge if you can afford it. I feel like if you could comfortably afford it then you wouldn’t feel so guilty. If it causes you to go into any debt or put anything else off as a result then it is most definitely not okay. I am strict with budgets though.

Post # 9
518 posts
Busy bee

I feel like all I will have after the wedding will be the pictures, so I want us to look good! I’d rather cut back on something no one will remember and spend the money on things like our rings and photographer and our outfits. When I am looking back at the pictures in 5 years I may not remember how big the flower arrangements on the tables were, but I will remember if I loved my dress. I also want a Nicole Miller dress so I am biased!  

Post # 10
8390 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

We went over budget on our wedding (by $2000) after getting some unexpected help from our moms.  Like MrsPanda99 said, as long as you’re able to afford it comfortably and it’s worth it to you, go for it.  We blew our budget on photography, a welcome dinner and thank you brunch.

Post # 11
94 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@moonbride:  I am that woman with my hair pulled back in a loose bun every day wearing a tee shirt and jeans. I walk dogs. I very rarely wear a dress (friends gasped at a BBQ this summer when I showed up in one because it was so damn hot out I couldn’t bear to put on anything else). I have never, ever bought designer anything. I am super practical. My shower dress was a $20 steal at Kohl’s.

I blew my budget out of the water at $1300. I was shooting for $700 or under. I felt really guilty for a while (and my mom didn’t help). I just picked my dress up yesterday from the seamstress and it makes me feel so fabulous and I can feel myself beaming when I have it on. You only get married once. If it’s not going to put you in severe debt and you can cut costs somewhere else, DON’T FEEL GUILTY. You don’t want to wear something that you don’t love or that you’re not comfortable in. I cut costs by doing buffet instead of family style, my venue was very inexpensive (under $700), and I did our STDs, invites, and placecards on Vistaprint with coupons.

If you feel it’s the best dress for you without considering the price, keep it.

Post # 12
721 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2004

I was lucky to buy my dream dress from another bee, unworm, unaltered, tags still attached…for half price. 

Post # 13
839 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@moonbride:  Don’t feel sick about it! Just think about why you love the dress, and try to focus on ways to cut costs elsewhere. I obsess over a lot of “bigger” purchases, and what makes me feel better a lot of the time is denying myself something else. So yeah, you splurged on the dress…now go cheap on shoes/accesories.

Also, you can always consider selling your dress after the wedding to make back some of the money.

Post # 14
2782 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@moonbride:  Well- you had a higher budget to begin with than I did.  I had a $1000 dress budget—I fully intended on spending less– but gave myself the $1000 budget just in case- because I was sort of dreading dress shopping.  Naturally, the only dress I fell in love with was $1048.  And with it- about $500 in alterations (exact cost to be determined because I don’t go for my first fitting until end of October- but it’s been established that it will come in right around there.  

In general, I am not into clothes or shoes (hard to be with a size 10!)- I’m a handbag girl.  So spending that much on a dress was already difficult for me- even if it IS for my wedding.  But it’s in my closet, so I can’t really be upset about it at this point- I cant exactly return it.  Plus, I do love the dress!!

Post # 15
2358 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I splurged on almost everything. Advice I got was ‘eh the extra money is just a drop in the bucket of life. It would have been spent somewhere anyway if not on the wedding, on something else.’ Ull be sooo glad u got ur dream dress as the time goes by. Don’t sweat it, enjoy it!

Post # 16
3846 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@moonbride:   Enjoy your lovely dress!!  Make cut backs in other places.  I think it is wonderful you found your perfect dress!!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors