We too are looking at appliances, hoping to renovate our kitchen this Summer / Fall (FI’s house built late 70s, kitchen dates from them with painted out cabinets and some make-shift upgrades, current appliances go back to the late 1990s… and not my cup-of-tea)
I haven’t picked out a Dishwasher as of yet, but I can tell you what I’ve decided are the key points I’m looking for
* MUST have a stainless steel interior (lasts longer, and less maintenance, less smell issues)
* Tall Tub or racks that adjust move around are a consideration
* MUST be fairly quiet (even more so than Energy / Low Water Usage Ratings)
* Could be an off-the-floor model… for ease of loading & unloading (especially as we get older… I am in my 50s, Fiance is in his 60s), but realize that can present issues in regards to counter heights etc… so I am still investigating / working thru those issues.
* Having the option of matching the door to the cabinetry would be a nice feature
As for the rest…
STOVE – I know I want a smooth top electric… preferably a slide-in model, convection isn’t a necessity
FRIDGE – Looking to move up to something much better than the old-fashioned top mounted freezer style that we have now. Thinking if there is one place we will splurge this will be it. Would love a “cadillac” with all the bells and whistles, particularly enamoured by the Samsung & LG French Door Refrigerators with 4 Doors… 2 for the fridge, and 2 Drawers on the bottom. The top one being “convertible” and can set to either function as a Fridge or Freezer Drawer. Lots of flexibility and great for those with kids (not us) or those who love to entertain (us).
MICROWAVE – Getting rid of FI’s standard issue Microwave. And going to get me a Panasonic Convection Microwave / Combo Oven. Had one of these 25 years ago when they first came out… and LOVE them… they offer the ultimate in flexibility for FAST Kitchen Cooking. Not cheap though… $ 600 CDN dollars or more, and they only come in counter-top versions (not over the stove / exhaust fan versions)… so will mean a bit more fiddling with our kitchen floor plan layout… but soooo worth it. I honestly could do without an regular oven with one of these babies. From experience I can say it is INCREDIBLE what they can do when cooking a turkey… cuts the time in half or better.
Hope this helps,
PS… Check out On-Line Reviews or Consumers Reports, a great way to find out the real PROS and CONS are with any appliances before you buy