- 3 years ago
I have a bridal shower etiquette question for you. My family is Italian and my fiance’s family is Irish. Irish custom is to give gifts at the bridal shower and Italian custom is to give cash in an envelope at the bridal shower (this goes for the wedding too, actually). I personally believe if you choose to give me a gift or cash, I’m very grateful and that’s the end of that! However, I’m worried about how this is going to go over at the bridal shower with 60% of the guests giving cash and expecting that I don’t open the cards in front of them and the other 40% of the guests will likely give gifts from my registry and they will expect to watch me open the gifts. I don’t want to open gifts and not open the cards, because the Italians might feel excluded. I also don’t want to open all the gifts and cards (Italians never open bridal shower cards in front of the giver) and with a guestlist of 60 people we would be there all day! Is there something I can do that’s in between?