(Closed) Brides & Grooms in Newark DE

posted 8 years ago in Delaware
Post # 3
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I ordered my Casablanca dress there and have no complaints thus far.  The dress arrived quickly, and I’m holding onto it for now since I’ve still got a ways to go until the wedding.  I worked with Susan there and she was a total doll, I’m looking forward to heading back there for my alterations soon.

The fact that it’s a “discount” shop has no bearing – the dress is still coming from the same manufacturer and was identical to the sample that I tried on at two other locations.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Post # 4
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I got my Alfred Angelo dress there, and they were WONDERFUL to deal with.  Almost every bride I have known in DE gets their dress from here; they have the service and the advantage of ordering a custom gown without paying an arm and a leg.  My dress, which had custom coloring in it (a blue train), was $520- and no one has worn it before me, unlike with DB. 

Many of the girls on TheKnot Delaware Board love Brides and Grooms.  I would not consider it a “discount store”; it just does not happen to cater to the more expensive crowd.  I recommend making an appointment and visiting during the week and not on a Saturday; as the most popular bridal salon in DE, they are packed on the weekends.  And don’t judge a book by its cover; it’s pack to the brim with dresses of all kinds, and it’s a hole in the wall, but they are knowledgable about what they are doing!  Since they are ordering directly from the manufacturer, they are considered an authorized retailer, not a ‘discount shop’. 

My only wariness is about their alterations; they don’t have a good reputation for this, so taking it back to Philly would be a smart thing to do.

Also, they will give your girls 15% off their bridesmaid dresses since you order there; they also price match including online competitors, so do your research and you and your girls could come out even better!  Good luck with them; I worked with Faith for my dress and Susan for the BM dresses, and they were both great!

Post # 5
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: May 2010

My first impression of Brides and Grooms was outstanding from the start.  The customer service that my bridesmaids and I received throughout the entire process was great. Faith and Susan are the best! They were on top of everything and gave me their honest opinions and answers about any uncertainties or questions.  I never felt left like my bridesmaids and I were just another wedding party. The selection of brand name dresses for entire party from mother of the bride to flower girl hands down beats the competition.   In addition, the dresses arrived on time and the prices were fair. Also,with Brides and Grooms being a family business, they made us feel like family. Unlike the larger wedding dress chains and shops in the area.  

However, I have a few gripes.  Before ordering the dresses, we were quoted one price for alterations. When the dresses arrived, we were told a higher price. Luckily, I had something in writing stating the original price. They honored the first quote and we moved on. However, my experience on the day of my wedding has caused me to let other brides know of my experience.  I had my last fitting before my wedding day and everything was wonderful.  The day of my wedding it all changed.  When getting into my dress, one of my bridemaids discovered my zipper was broken.  We were an hour from Newark and in a hotel room 15 minutes away from the wedding.  We were frantically searching the entire hotel for extra safety pins.  The 3 extra I brought for an emergency were not enough. My bridesmaids carefully had to safety pin me in my dress.  Needless to say, it caused me many tears and to be 45 minutes late to my wedding.  My poor husband thought I was going to be The Runaway Bride. After that dilemma was solved, along came the next one.  During my reception, the bustle on my dress kept falling down the whole night.  About every 5 to 10 minutes it would fall.  Even during my first dress and father/daughter dance when it was slower movement.  It was a totally nightmare to have to stop and have someone fix my dress all night. 

Overall, the customer service, selection, and prices are great. However, do yourself a favor and get your alterations completed somewhere else. I never want someone to experience what I did on the day of my wedding. 

The topic ‘Brides & Grooms in Newark DE’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors