Pay : (21 votes)
    29 %
    Let them pay : (52 votes)
    71 %
  • Post # 2
    3735 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2017 - Poppy Ridge Golf Course

I let them know what color and length I preferred, they were free to choose their own dresses. I also let each know individually that I’d pay for the dress if necessary. Ended up paying for one out of four, no problem. 🙂

Post # 3
    35 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2017

I think the norm is to have them pay. My bridesmaids and i never had that talk but they are buying their own. If you have someone in your party who you know may not be able to afford a dress you like or a dress at all, then you should step in to help them.

Post # 4
    35 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2017

heavenlyflower :  I agree. I chose a color and length (long) and let them pick what they felt beautiful in. i would feel bad making them pay for a dress they didnt like and it doesnt matter to me if they all match in style

Post # 5
    3735 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2017 - Poppy Ridge Golf Course

futuremrschronister :  Same here. They have very different personal styles and body types. Might have been nearly impossible to find one dress that worked for all. Wanted to make sure everyone was comfortable and actually liked the dress they chose.

Post # 6
    5327 posts
    Bee Keeper

Mine are paying for their own, but I’m letting them pick their own dresses from wherever they want as long as it’s within the color pallette I’ve given them (blush/cream/champagne). I know that one of them already happens to own a dress that would work, so she’s going with that, which is awesome.

I’m about to be a BM in my 6th wedding and I’ve just had it with shelling out hundreds of dollars on stupid dresses that I have literally NEVER IN MY LIFE worn a second time, I don’t care how “versatile” the bride claims it is. I was in two weddings where the bride let us pick whatever dress we wanted (in a certain color scheme) and I appreciated it so much. I also thought the photos came out the best in those weddings.

Sidenote: I will never understand this aesthetic so many brides go for where everyone’s in perfectly matching outfits like a dance troupe or something…like who even came up with this idea in the first place? I guess it’s just a matter of personal taste.

/endrant!

Post # 8
    116 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

I’m from Australia and I feel the norm is to buy your girls dresses. Depends where you are OP!

Post # 9
    2212 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2017

I also am having my bridesmaids pay their own but they chose their own dresses. However I did most of the research online to find ridiculous affordable dresses and then they chose from those. They still had the option to find one themselves but I wanted to make it as easy on them as possible. I also privately let each know I’d be happy to help pay for the dress if they needed. 

Post # 10
    1782 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2018

I will be paying for my girls dresses. I was in both of their weddings, one paid for mind, one paid for half since I was a last mind add. 

I haven’t decided what I am doing yet style wise. I’m torn between something that matches or letting them wear similar little black dresses. But I have time to decide. 

Post # 11
    1929 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I gave them a length and a colour and they got their own dresses. However, I did pay for professional hair and makeup for them on the day of. 

If you ask them to buy their own, it needs to be within their budget. If you specifically ask them to get pro hair and nails or in a specific way, then you should pay (vs if they do their own).  

Post # 12
    631 posts
    Busy bee

If you are dictating colour and style: you definitely pay

If they have options (I.e. You give them a length and colour palette and they pick): it’s ok for them to pay

Post # 13
    12833 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I paid for half of each of their dresses to ensure it was well within the lowest budget I was given.

Post # 15
    318 posts
    Helper bee

I let my maids pick out there favorite two styles then I picked from that for each maid. Each girl is in a different dress and my MOH and my next bridesmaid are in wine and the rest are in blush.

it was hard coordinating all the girls to pick their own dresses so I just went and did it because time was starting to get cut short. They seemed to love the choices I made for them so I’m happy about that.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors