- 3 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
So FI and I still have no honeymoon plans. Everything is pretty hectic right now for FI work-wise and I’m afraid they will stay that way until it starts to get colder out.
We’ve been thinking about going to Thailand over Thanksgiving (also FI’s 30th birthday) for a honeymoon/birthday trip instead of rushing right after the wedding.
I happened to see some tickets for $1100 each to Bangkok and back (to MCI) and that sounded like a great deal since I think they normally run $1300-$1500.
I am thinking of flying into Bangkok, going up to Chiang Mai, and then going south to an island (possibly taking a boat or two to explore some others but trying to pick one area). I can take 2 weeks off.
HOTEL: I’d like find some mid-line hotels…maybe $50-$150 a night. I was thinking of mixing in some cheaper hotels with a nicer one. I really don’t need anything upscale…even for a honeymoon, just somewhere fairly nice and in good location (scenery wise or activity wise).
So I have some questions for anyone that has been. Feel free to answer any or all!
1) How much should I budget for hotel, food, and activities?
2) Anyone have any hotel recommendations? $50-$150 a night.
3) Anyone have any recommendations as far as itinerary goes? Should I go in a different order? Am I trying to hit too many areas?
4) Anyone have any advice for which islands to see? I definitely don’t mind a party atmosphere but I don’t want to be kept awake by it (hotels farther away from the action might help too). I want beauty more than anything!
5) Any advice on specific activities to do in these areas or things we just have to see?
6) Is it better to book domestic flights or take a train? Mainly I’m thinking it might be worth it to pay a little more to fly from Chaing Mai to Phuket…but I don’t know.
BTW our other option right now is Bahamas over Thanksgiving. Coincides with a major basketball tournament. We’d both enjoy it but I’m sort of guessing it might cost the same $ wise. I haven’t researched it but I think hotel costs would be astronomical at Atlantis over Tgiving. If it costs the same…I’d rather go to Thailand.