Budget Brides, Let Me See Pictures of Your $5,000-$6,000 Weddings!!

posted 2 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
767 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

bmaus1493:  I don’t want to be the bad news but… we wanted to do the same thing but the budget had to be doubled because it was not possible to do what we wanted with that amount of money. 

Post # 3
537 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

lynnielou33193:  +1 Same here. Curious if it can actually be done though! 

Post # 4
1413 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

How many guests are you planning on having? My sister had a 35 person wedding and tried to do everything at minimal cost (like, no DJ, photography for $400, dress $500, DIY flowers, reception at a restaurant followed by a party at my parents house) and i believe hers ended up being around $8,000. The only rental cost was the ceremony site, a refurbished church. 

Post # 5
Hostess
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

We originally set out budget at $6000, but we wanted so many things that we didn’t want to do without [dj, photographer, candy buffet, photo booth, ect].

It totally can be done, but we ended up spending $18k, but that cost includes everything right down to the rehearsal dinner, honeymoon & rings.

Good luck, I’m sure you will have a beautiful wedding for under 6k!

Post # 6
767 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

AllieLaLa:  me too lol I was AMAZED at how expensive weddings were 

Post # 7
986 posts
Busy bee

Depends on your “must have’s”! We’re having our Friday night wedding for a little more than $5000..more like $5300 at this point, and we’ve paid off the big things already except food (which will be Mexican food for 120 people and will cost us $1300), the DJ ($250), invitations ($125), and little things that we think will probably add up to another $1000. 

I’m sure you’ve heard this all before, but this is what I followed and it helped me a lot. If you’re looking for a fancy meal, to keep it at that price you may have to keep your guest count down. If you’re willing to have a simple meal, you can keep a bigger guest list. The most expensive things are usually food, photography, and venues. That alone will take up the majority of the budget. I would forgo flowers or DIY…we just kept the bridal bouquet, bout for groom, and 4 vases of flowers for the ceremony/reception welcome tables for $350. Rent a dress or buy preowned or at David’s Bridal. We aren’t having fancy decor or anything, but we just wanted to keep it simple!

Post # 9
964 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

bmaus1493:  Also want to see people’s good ideas! People get married for the cost of a marriage license every day…you can definitely have a wedding for $5,000 or under. A lot of people don’t even make that in a year. The women on here have an extremely skewed perspective of what is “necessary” for a wedding. Hopefully you get some good responses!

Post # 10
7531 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

bmaus1493:  65 people, when all is said and done $5K  If you want ideas to keep costs low, you can PM me.  Where are you located? How many people?  What style/feeling are you going for? What are your top 3 priorities? Can you do some diy? Do you have an inspiration board or pinterest?

Post # 11
242 posts
Helper bee

Our budget is $5000. We are invitiing 18 guests, MOH, Best Man and officiant are included in that. We are renting a vacation house for all to stay, in lieu of a hotel. We are having ceremony, and reception at the house. This took out transportation cost, a huge amount of decorating costs as their is no tables for linens, no chairs to cover, no centerpieces to make, etc. We won’t be doing favors, or welcome bags, all that frivolous stuff got cut out basically.

My MOH is reusing a dress from a wedding she is in this weekend actually. My dress is a discontinued sample I got for $500. I decided early on to buy fake flowers instead of real ones, due to expense. I’ll be making the bouquets, bouutainaires and any other decorations myself. I’ll by doing my own hair and make up. We will borrow a camcorder and set it up on a tripod for a video of the ceremony and reception moments.

Our wedding bands will be simple bands, no stones. Our wedding dinner will be breakfast foods, either delivered or picked up from a local restuarant. We will get some platters of fruit, baked goods, and cheese from the local grocery store. We are getting gourmet cookies instead of a cake, also from local grocery store.

The photographer is the next biggest expense ususally that we have a fraction of most peoples budget for. I found a website, Thumbtack, that allows you to put in what you are searching for, the date & time, price point, and a few other details, and submits what you need to a network of people signed up with them. I got 4 photographers that emailed me back through this site, all in our price range. I am confident I will find someone with wedding experience to shoot our day to my satisfaction.

It’s truly all about budgeting for what you want. Talk about this early with your FI. Decide the things that can be cut and move on. I always wanted a string quartet playing while I walk down the aisle, but that is not going to happen. And I am so okay with it. Because all that matters is I am committing myself and my love for my FI in front of the people care about. Nothing else matters!!!

Our wedding is scheduled for May 2015 so I don’t have any pictures of anything at the moment. I would also say that keeping the guest list down is a sure fire way to help your budget. Food is next. We also decided to cut alcohol straight off the bat. Neither of our families drinks that much so its just not necessary. Weddings have gotten so out of hand, people expect so many things that are simply not necessary. Decide what is important to the two of you and make it YOUR day.

I have found lots of help on the wedding bee for specific aspects I was stuck on. Breakfast for dinner came from a poster on here!! My FI and I love it! I was trying to figure out how to have steak and it wasn’t working in our budget so this is a great idea!

Don’t get too overwhelmed. You can always pm me for suggestions or anything. Good luck! IT CAN BE DONE!!!! Dont let people say you need more money!!!! There is always a way!!! 

Post # 12
851 posts
Busy bee

Our budget is $5000 for 75(ish) guests. We’re under budget right now, but we’re still a number of months out. It absolutely can be done, but it depends a lot on your number of guests and also where you live. I live in the boonies, and $5000 is actually close to mid-range in these parts. Our wonderful reception space is costing us $500, our photographer $800, and the food should end up being around $1,600.

Post # 13
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Not sure where you live, but someone once suggested a destination wedding to an ‘all inclusive’ resort in FL, Caribbean or Mexico. Genius if you ask me. All food and booze included and the guests are paying for themselves just about!

Post # 15
435 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

My first wedding was on about $6000 budget, but 4 years ago. 35 people.  We were extremely lucky with the venue and food, splurged on a photographer (turned into a nightmare though), got deals on everything else: suit from the outlets, dress found in a store, but ordered online at RK bridal – it was almost 30% cheaper!  DJ was a young local artist, pretty cheap and decent. We didn’t do any decorations at the venue, just coordinated napkin colors.Cake was from a small business, i made cake toppers myself.

I had a person on Etsy design our stationary for $20 and printed it at home on blank white cards from Michaels ($6 per pack). Flowers were cheap and seasonal, centerpieces – shallow vases found in goodwill with glass pebbles, floating candles and gerbera heads. Rings bought on Black friday week, got plain bands because we wanted it. favors were tin boxes from michaels decorated by me and filled with loose leaf tea, total cost less than $1 per person, but guests enjoyed it, they said. and it was a personal touch. I saw an arch online, bought similar branches at michaels and decorated with wire branches with beads. Lookednice! Sorry, can’t post a pic – too many faces to wipe out of it.

Overall it went pretty well. I loved the coordinated stationary and cake decor! It’s related to our field of work. Notice green glowing fibers in the flowers – these are a part of a particle detector! My big thing was trifting and michaels sales\coupons. I always said I enjoyed my first wedding – it was a great party, what came after – not so much))) 

\\i thought I’d clarify JIC: my ex turned into an abusive monster 6 months later and threatened to kill our dog if I didn’t do everything he said. I ran away.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  galephys.
Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors