Budget Wedding in the GTA – $10 000… for 220 guests

posted 3 years ago in Toronto
Post # 2
88 posts
Worker bee

Can you do a back yard wedding? Just curious. I think we only have one country club here that allows your own catering, but we have tons that are BYOB. Another option may be doing acocktail and dessert reception – does that appeal?

Post # 3
27 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2014

check goverment owned lands like parks or monuments. I am having my wedding at a state owned ranch and it lets me bring in my own caterer and the fee is only like 1500. My wedding will have about 175-200 and am aiming for 8,000 hopefully. 

Post # 4
3222 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Check with Ontario Parks. 

By “an hour outside of the GTA” – do you actually mean the actual GTA? Because an hour from the GTA could be as far out as St. Catharines, and you can likely do a wedding for $10k near there. Two of my former coworkers (though this is three years ago) had their weddings in Barrie and St. Catherines, and each spent around ~$10k. I went to the one in Barrie and venue was in an industrial parkway, but the inside was adorable. They brought in their own catering and the buffet was surprisingly good!

I honestly cannot imagine having a 200+ person wedding for less than $20k within the GTA unless catering is going to be sandwiches or barbeque, and no booze. 

Would you consider a brunch buffet wedding? 

Post # 5
3249 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Brunch is always a good idea, as it provides an opportunity to wear a morning coat! 

Post # 6
3222 posts
Sugar bee

Also, check out legions and community centers just on the outskirts of the GTA, like Barrie, Oshawa, Hamilton, Milton, Newmarket, Bradford, etc. They should only have a ~$200 rental fee, and a small fee to use the kitchen. Then you can bring in your own caterer.

Post # 10
721 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

vvanne16:  Good luck with this – it’s not going to be easy. I struggled to find the same thing (an affordable venue that would let me bring in catering) for my rehearsal dinner for just 20 people, and couldn’t find it. I think Ryerson University might have some halls/rooms you can rent but I remember that they were relatively expensive (like $2000+ for just a couple hours and no food) and even then, they may have required use of their own caterer.

If my wedding had not been in October, I would have gone with my back-up, as other posters had mentioned. That would be to rent a BBQ pit/gazebo at a one of the bigger parks in the city and have it catered BBQ-style (which you can easily find for like $10-$15pp). 

If that wasn’t feasible, I would have gone full-on cocktail reception to save $$$

Post # 11
3222 posts
Sugar bee

I’m in grad school right now and in the past two years, I’d say most of my classmates have had cocktail receptions. Look into 99 Sudbury for a cocktail reception if you’re open to going that route. With a cocktail reception and signature cocktail, you can definitely do $10,000 for 200 people. 

Either brunch, cocktail, or look into a legion/community center/ontario park with a casual buffet (will still be at minimum $15/pp unless you plan on having your own delivery/set up/clean up).

Post # 12
3 posts
Wannabee

Check out Fantasy Farms as a venue. They are really great Jeremy one of the owners will go out of his way to work with you. If you are considering bringing your own caters in it’s seems like it’s always more expensive. I thinks it’s one of the most budget friendly venues in Toronto and it’s right off DVP, plus free parking. Think about not having alchol at the wedding it’s one of the biggest cost saver options. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors