(Closed) Called it all off

posted 5 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
Member
5968 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2018

@jcr616:  Sorry to hear things didn’t work out…but unless that contract shows a 20% cancellation processing fee….they aren’t entitled to it…stick to your guns!

Post # 4
Member
1359 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I’m so sorry things didn’t work out, but I’m glad you seem very clear-headed and confident about this decision. And I’m glad you realized you want different things before you got married.

I’m with @Nona99 about sticking to your guns. This is why we have contracts!

Post # 5
Member
10454 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

So with months to go your venue still wants 50% of the estimated bill? Holy cow! Most I’ve seen you only lose the deposit if you cancel more than two months out (before you’ve paid anything else).

Post # 6
Member
1784 posts
Buzzing bee

Are they offering an option of either 20% processing fee vs the 50% less amount down?  The 50% less amount down sounds like it could be a large number, maybe they’re offering you an option that will be less?  If so, I’d obviously go for the smaller number and then get them to write something that says paid in full, contract fulfilled,  and keep it for awhile with the contract.

Post # 8
Member
2515 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@jcr616:  F that! if it’s not in the contract then they don’t get the 20%.

Post # 9
Member
10454 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

@jcr616:  Is the 50% in the contract? No matter how far ahead you cancel?

If the 20% isn’t mentioned, eff them they aren’t getting it. 

Post # 11
Member
1784 posts
Buzzing bee

@jcr616:  Yeah, well, if it’s not in the contract too bad for them.

Post # 12
Member
7653 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

If the 50% is in the contract, which it sounds like it is, then you are stuck, BUT the 20% processing fee? If that isn’t in the contract then that’s on them.

Post # 13
Member
5894 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I would try to negotiate that you will pay them 20% of the estimated costs if they can re-sell the date. If not you will pay the 50% + 20%. Good Luck!

Post # 15
Member
2515 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@jcr616:  i wouldn’t negotiate with them. what if they agree to the 20% if they rebook and the 50% + 20% if they don’t rebook and then purposely not rebook that date? then you’re out more money.

Post # 16
Member
648 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’m really sorry that this happened:( But it sounds like the two of you have made a mature decision about the situation.

As for the 20% fee, nuts to that! If it’s not written into the contract or their terms, you have no obligation to pay it.

The topic ‘Called it all off’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors