Post # 1
Or rather, guess at it? I have an antique engagement ring and wedding band, I believe from around the 1930s-1940s. It’s yellow gold and it’s given me a patch of super-dry scaly skin on my ring finger since about the time I started wearing it. I thought I just wasn’t getting the ring and my finger dry enough when I’d wash my hands. Now that I’m pregnant and my fingers have puffed up I bought a silver ring from Berricle in a larger size to serve as a stand-in. And my finger is finally healing, with just regular lotion instead of the prescription-strength steroidal cream I’d been applying that only kept the rash at bay for a while. I’m starting to think I’m going to need to change my rings, I really don’t want to deal with lizard finger for the rest of my life, but I don’t know what it is in this antique gold that would be causing the problem and I don’t want to change rings only to have the same problem. Any suggestions ladies?
For reference here is the stand-in ring: http://www.berricle.com/crown-set-swarovski-cz-925-silver-woven-solitaire-ring-1-28-ct-jewelry-r823-swcl.htm, I totally recommend it, I’m getting a ridiculous number of compliments for this $40 ring. I don’t have similarly-detailed specs for my e-ring unfortunately. Thanks for your help!!
Post # 2
Sounds like nickel allergy to me.
Post # 3
I agree with jofits. It may be contact dermatitis. Nickel is one of the most common metals to cause this reaction.
Post # 4
- Wedding: April 2015 - Miami, Fl
Sounds like Nickel. Possibly Cobalt too. I recommend going to a dermatologist and having an allergy Patch Test done. I’m not sure if you are able to do it while pregnant tho so be sure to mention it if you call to make an appointment.
Post # 5
Ccould be gold . I cant really wear nickel or yellow gold
Post # 6
When I was pregnant my rings made my fingers red and blistery. But after I had my son it no longer happened. Pregnancy can make your body chemistry crazy so just stop wearing the ring and try it again after you deliver. Would you consider having it rhodium dipped? That could solve the problem. I know you said it happened before the pregnancy too so I guess it’s possible you could be allergic to the gold itself.
Post # 7
You may have An allergy to Gold. or nickel like others have said.. I’d stop wearing gold til I was tested.
Post # 8
i’m echoing what all the other ladies have said. It’s probably a reaction to nickel. That happens to me too with the same symptoms. It’ll start out scaley but if ingore it it will start getting red and crack. When I was in high school and before I knew what it was, my body actually rejected a pair of earrings (but I won’t go into any gorey details).
I find that putting a light layer of neosporin in between what ever you’re wearing and your skin helps, but I’m sure you don’t want to do that with a ring you’re gonna wear forever.
Post # 9
Yellow gold doesn’t contain nickle that often, it’s found more in white gold. Yellow gold is usually an alloy of gold, silver and copper. Since you aren’t having a reaction to the silver ring, you might have a copper allergy. I have a similar allergy and it took so long to figure it out.
Post # 10
PracticalBride: As P.B. says, it could indeed be copper. I have this allergy. I wound up needing to Have my ring done in palladium (used MoissaniteCo), which is working great!
Post # 11
jennmariee: I have the same type of allergy. Not with silver or white gold, but with yellow gold. Generally, I am OK with 18K and up. My original ERing was 18K yellow gold, as was my original wedding band. They would still bother me at times, but I could stop wearing them for a few days so that the rash would clear up on its own.
I may also be safe with 14K because I have a rose gold band that’s 14K (a fairly recent acquisition), and it hasn’t given me the scaly, itchy rash. But back when I discovered the allergy, I didn’t realize that. I went with 18K and up for years because that’s what our jeweler at the time recommended.
It turned out that almost all the women in my family on my mom’s side have some kind of metal allergy. One of my aunts is allergic to silver metals. My other aunt is allergic to almost all metals. And my mom is also allergic to yellow gold.
Post # 12
jennmariee: I worked fine jewelery for a long time. There are a couple explanations that come to mind:
Since it’s a vintage ring I would also guess nickle. even 24k gold has other metals mixed in (otherwise the gold would be too soft to keep its shape). It was more common to use nickle as a filler back in the day, now it’s not used often because so many people are allergic to it.
It’s possible that the ring is actually not gold, but gold filled. Gold filled is when they mix a little gold with a whole bunch of other metals. It’s better than gold plating because the gold color won’t wear off- but it often causes reactions because there are so many different metals.
It’s possible that you’re allergic to silver or gold. This is pretty rare, but some people are actually allergic to silver and gold. If you want to figure it out, I’d suggest buying or borrowing a 14k gold band, and a sterling silver band, wear them on different hands and see what happens.
I advise that you take it back to the jewlery store (after you wear it, so you can show them the rash). I also have a vintage ring, and have no problems- but this kind of stuff is just a part of the risk you take, it’s harder to verify things with old jewelry.
Post # 13
Oh and Practical Bride has a good point, I hadn’t thought of copper- that may well be the issue.
Post # 14
Thanks for the advice everyone. Between the rash and the fact that the metal is thinned to the point of needing just about every prong replaced, which would cost more than the value of the ring, I think I’m going to look into something in palladium from Moissanite&Co. Thanks again!!
Post # 15
I’m allergic to nickel and also get a dry red patchy scaly rash when I wear anything less than 14k Gold (My first wedding band was 10k gold and I had to take it off sadly).