(Closed) Can the price of a Sottero & Midgley dress be haggle down?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
6598 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

I got asked how much I saw the dress for in another store (the store I was buying from didn’t have the sample) and they priced matched. Which was $200 off the price!

I am sure there is a little wiggle room – there is obviously a store mark-up on the dress!

And yes you do have to pay sales tax!

Good Luck!

Which dress are you interested in?

Post # 4
150 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

Definitely negotiate – I did! Especially if there are other suppliers in your area

Post # 5
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

You could also ask if there are planning a trunk show or special sale in the near future- many of the places I visited informed me- “we’re having Maggies on sale early next month if you wanted to wait until then.” I thought that was really nice of them.

On sales tax- most likely you will have to pay it. However, some states don’t have sales tax on clothing and/or shoes. For example- Minnesota doesn’t- which is where I bought my dress- so no sales tax- it was very nice!! I belive some states also have no sales tax on clothing for one or two weekends during the “back-to-school” season- I’m not sure if one of these weekends would work for a wedding dress but it might??

Post # 6
1020 posts
Bumble bee

you can always negotiate prices with bridal shops.

what i did was to first find reviews online of different bridal shops, second, call the ones that have received good reviews and asked them how much they sell “my” dress for, then, i negotiate the price with the one that quoted me the cheapest.

i ended up saving about 23% for my dress (before tax).

good luck!

Post # 8
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: January 2011

They can be adjusted a bit in price. Two tips I’ve learned from friends and buying own dress ( I have Mggie Sottero’s Rachael dress). You can buy the sals sample sometimes at a discount, I got mine from a trunk show. As mentioned before, some shops do price matching, but some will not because their boutiques are more inclusive ( include alterations, storage, cleaning afer and pressing before, Mine is even handling shipment for me to my location.)

You can also shop around and get a knock off at about half the price, the only big thing I noticed with the knock off’s is with the bottom hem, which if you are having it altered, this will be fixed. I ened up with the real deal b/c i got it at a trunk show.

P.S. Maggie takes about 8 mo. to get delivered, so plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Post # 9
48 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I was told by the bridal store that this designed does not allow retailers to discount or they will lose their license to sell this designer’s gowns.

Post # 11
729 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

the store i was going to was going to not have me pay sales tax on the dress that i liked, but i never got it. I told them that it was out of my price range and i really liked it. I think it was to get me to buy it although I never did.

Post # 12
729 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

pearlsplace.com

has good prices, it is acutally the store i was going to buy from, you can just order from them over the phone and they will ship to you.

The topic ‘Can the price of a Sottero & Midgley dress be haggle down?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors