(Closed) can we “register” for cash (’til we figure out which continent & currency)?

posted 8 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
153 posts
Blushing bee

I did a PhD in England…congrats that you’ll have your viva soon!

I’m not exactly in your situation, but FI and I are also in a state of flux at the moment.  Totally sympathize with what you’re going through.

You really need to check about those gift cards.  They’re tricky.  Some expire, some take money out if you don’t use them after a certain period of time, some have service fees…  I think Amazon.com gift cards never expire, but you can only use them at Amazon.com (not .co.uk, .ca, bascially if you don’t end up in a .com area).

We’re also looking at setting up a honeyfund.com registry, but with $10 increments of “our dining table and chairs,” “our first couch,” and stuff like that.  Maybe that’s an idea?

Maybe because I have a fairly tolerant set of friends and come from a culture that gives money at weddings that I told people that IF they wanted to give a gift (because I honestly don’t expect anything from friends coming from overseas), I set up a small registry at place X, but really would prefer cash.  No one has been scandalized.

I want to believe that people who know and love you will understand your circumstances.  But some won’t, hence the small registry.  I want to say BB&B still gives you cash if you return items, but I’m not sure.  If you can’t store those items at a family member’s home, then you can always return them.

HTH!

Post # 5
4567 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I LOVE this question! Thank you so much for asking it! My boyfriend and I will be moving SO much the next few years, so it would be nice if people gave us money to fund said moves but I wasn’t sure how to go about doing that!

Post # 6
715 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

I had a friend who was was to move to England almost immediately after their wedding in the States. So instead of the usual registry, he had it set up to where you can contribute say $25 toward a kettle. Or $200 for a set of pots and pans where they could purchase when they got to the UK. I didn’t think it was tacky at all. They had a list of things they needed, the approximate price for said piece, and so on. Their thank you notes had a picture of them and gift they bought with the contributed cash. It was cute and really well done.

The topic ‘can we “register” for cash (’til we figure out which continent & currency)?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors