Post # 1
Ugh. I was very excited about our 7 night trip to Turks and Caicos. We scored a suite with a kitchen (so we can cook breakfast and lunch, at least) and flights for about $3k total. It was a few hundred more than our original budget but I figured we would make up for it by cooking some meals in the room.
Then my fiancé took a different job where he doesn’t make as much money as he expected – it’s commission-based.
It wasn’t THAT big a deal. I mean, we can still pay for the honeymoon (and wedding). I just accepted that we would need to spend conservatively for the next few months and use our savings to cover the honeymoon. (Secretly, I hoped that we would receive some cash gifts for our wedding with which to replenish our savings.) But I am a tight-wad and using so much of our savings makes me nervous.
Since the vacation package was non-refundable, I put it all out of my mind until today… The airline notified me that they are changing their flight schedule and I have three choices: 1. Take a full refund (air and hotel); 2. Agree to travel on a different and very inconvenient day with a terrible layover; or 3. Pay an extra $200 to fly on a different airline (id be getting refund from original airline but the new flight cost a little more) and keep the same hotel and travel dates.
Considering I was nervous about using our savings to pay for our honeymoon, which option should I choose??? I see pros and cons with each option. My fiancé told me he would support whatever I chose. If I cancel this trip I don’t think I can justify booking another big trip.
Post # 3
This is a really tough one!! But since you say you would not likely book another big trip, I’m in favor of 2 or 3. But whatever decision you make, please don’t second guess it. Make it and move on!
I’m conservative with money as well, so I definitely see the rationale behind all three options, but your honeymoon as is sounds perfect.
Post # 4
I’d say option 3. If you pay an extra $200 so you can have your honeymoon I’d say its worth it. If you’re worried about the money go with option 2 and make the layover fun by hanging with your new husband 🙂
Post # 5
Personally, $200 is worth it to me to not be stuck in a plane or airport for longer. I HATE long layovers.
Post # 6
Could you make the layover really long in a cool city? I often take a long (at least 7 hours) layover if I can get it and take the opportunity to hang out in a new city for a bit.
Post # 7
I would just cancel for a full refund and do a cheaper trip. If you really want to take the trip then I would do option #3 and pay $200 for a more convenient trip…it would be worth it to me
Post # 8
I think having your honeymoon is worth it. I’d pay the $200.
Post # 10
i think you should cancel the trip and get a full refund. you can get a better all-inclusive vacation for less than $3000. you can find a decent vacation sell-off for $2000 for 7 nights. you won’t have to worry about paying for dinner and drinks on your honeymoon when it’s all-included. check less expensive honeymoon spots like dominican republic or cancun/mayan riviera.
Post # 11
I vote option 3 – but I also vote that you call the airline and explain it’s your honeymoon and ask “if there’s anything they can do to help” since they are the ones who changed things and left you in a bad situation. Our airline changed our Hawaii honeymoon flight times as well and gave us a crappy alternative flight (cutting out a whole day of our vacation!) – after calling, we were able to convince them to give us a much better alternative flight than what they originally were offering. You never known until you ask!
Post # 12
when do you have to decide by? I would:
research cheaper alternatives/flights (or chat up a travel agent – for free!)
see where the layover would be or if you could at all make that work
take another hard look at your finances and see if this trip is just making you live lean for a bit or if would be a serious hardship.
If the answer to the first two is no, and and the third is ‘live lean’ – spend the $200 and go on your honeymoon!
Post # 13
@ahavah: definitely try this!! we had a flight get us in to a conference a day late and my friend called and got them to change our afternoon flight to the next morning, since they’d made us miss the first day.
Post # 14
- Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY
Wait, the airline just “changed their schedule” and is f*ing up YOUR honeymoon and YOU have to pay? No way. I would refuse to pay the $200.
Post # 15
I would probably take the refund just to have the flexibility to book something else. BuT I would still definitely book something! If you have some time to think, browse a bit to see what else is available, and if you can find a better deal or something more budget friendly go for that. If you’re really attached to this particular trip I would definitely raise a little noise about the inconvenience THEY caused and see if you can get the fee waived or some extras thrown in.
Post # 16
If you wouldnt book it again and are so worried about using up the savings, I’d cancel and do it when it’s more affordable. I love to travel, but it’s not worth it if it’s going to make me worry about finances.