(Closed) Candy Bar on $100 in 28 days?? is it Doable?

posted 7 years ago in Favors
Post # 3
2889 posts
Sugar bee

To me it sounds reasonable but I’ve never done a candy bar. I would suggest starting at BJ’s or Sam’s club where they have large quantities of things that won’t melt like gummi bears and sweedish fish and gum balls. I guess you need to decide if you’re sticking to only candy of a specific color, which would make the task of finding candy under budget harder. Maybe you could even include pretzel sticks or some other salty snack because they won’t melt.

Post # 4
2889 posts
Sugar bee

Oh, I was pretty optimistic about your budget but I didn’t consider containers. If you don’t already have containers, I don’t think you’ll be able to get glass containers, scoops and candy for $100.

Post # 6
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I think it’s definatly do-able if you choose where you a buying you stuff wisely. Buying your candy in bulk from a Superstore would be best, then look for your containers at a second-hand shop then spend a bit of time pretty-ing them up a little. Then buy your candy bags from a dollar store, or a large department store where you can get a lot for cheap. You only have 50 people comming so you don’t need to go over board on candy. I think 8-10 varieties will be more than enough and you don’t need too much of each. I will warn you though if it does get really hot out (no offence Slicey, this is just from personal expirence) gummy bears, etc. will melt and basically turn into one giant gummy lump…this happened to me a few years back and I was shocked because it was only about 25 degrees celcius outside.  

Post # 7
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I was also going to say that I love the look of multi-colour candy buffets instead of just a few colours…and this will probably help you a lot with your findings 🙂

Post # 8
8354 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

How many guests are you planning for?

I am only planning for 50 to 60 and I paid just over $100.00 for the apothecary jars and I am estimating just of $200.00 for the candy I want.

It really depends on how many guests you are planning for, the type of containers you want, and the type of candy you want.

I am sure you can do it. It will just be tough.

Post # 9
612 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Check out the Dollar Store and Big Lots for candy on the cheap.  They have name brands and they are within their expiration dates and no one is going to know where you got it from.  For stuff to put it in I would check out the Helping Hand or go back to the Dollar Store or Big Lots and buy some vases and jars.  Tie it all together with matching ribbon and tags and you should be good to go.  Oh!  And for candy containers on the cheap just buy some white paper lunch bags and stamp them with a saying or your monogram. 

Post # 10
61 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m having a candy bar too and usually I can find all my favorite candies at the dollar store.  They usually taste the same and have alot of the classics from my childhood.  I also went and looked at several Goodwills and Saver stores for my candy jar holders.  I am getting different jars for each candy and found lots of cool, cheap jars at Goodwill.  They usually run about $2!  I will be buying new scoops though from a restaurant depot store.  Also Costco or Sam’s club would be a good place to shop for candy and jars.  Good luck. 

Post # 11
8354 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I wish the Goodwill type store in my area had good finds. Ours are way overpriced and there is not much selection, if any.

Post # 12
6 posts
Newbee

Of course it can be done! I recently did a candy buffet at the last minute for a bride at $150 for 150 people. And that included my setup fee! The display containers were already owned by the bride or borrowed from friends, plus I let her use a couple of my own at no charge since she already booked her florals from us (check with any of your other vendors to see if you can ‘borrow’ glass containers at no charge.) Just follow a couple of basice guidelines, and expect to put in at least a little bit of footwork to pull it off:

1) Purchase only small containers or bags for your guests (bags cost less.) Realistically, does each guest really need a giant lunch sack of candy to themselves?

2)Buy your candy from the loose/bulk section of a ‘discount’ grocery store. Here in So Cal we have WinCo which has an amazing bulk section and their prices are much less than the big club stores. Avoid online ‘bulk’ or ‘wholesale’ vendors. Most likely the pricing is not that great, and you’ll waste a ton on shipping since candy weighs a lot.

3) Purchase candy that is lighter in weight and/or takes up more space…pre-wrapped saltwater taffy, chocolate covered malt balls (weather permitting 😉 pre-wrapped lifesaver or mint rings, larger/fluffier candy such as multi colored licorice will fill ‘er up while not hogging the budget.

4)Offer only 5 or 6 different treats, and spread them out on your display table. Lay the jar/vase for the licorice on it’s side, and place the candy so it’s ‘spilling out’. Figure out which of all your candy costs the least, and buy the most of that one for the largest of your containers.

5)Use a table small enough that your items don’t appear lost or sparse…you want it to look full and loaded! Use boxes underneath your tablecovers to create varying heights and give your display visual interest. Puddle tulle or another fabric around each container to make it appear more ‘lush.’

I hope this helps…and good luck!

Post # 13
6 posts
Newbee

P.S. And make sure you provide smaller scoops or tongs for guests to gather their loot…giant scoops mean half that jar of m&m’s will be gone by the third guest!! Dollar tree sells clear plastic tongs in sets of two for $1. I know…they’re plastic…but they are actually better than metal since they won’t chip or crack the edges of your glass vases/jars when guests are dipping in! Wink

Post # 14
1161 posts
Bumble bee

Don’t overlook garage sales for the jars.  And I agree that small bags are key (as well as making sure there aren’t a bunch of 6 year old boys who will have unrestricted access).

Post # 15
3226 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I think its doable. Borrow containers or go to like a thrift shop of some sort…they probably have cool glass containers for like $1.  And candy is semi-cheap.

Post # 16
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

My friend did a garden themed candy bar for my bachelorette party.  She did it well under $150.  She had the advantage of buying all the after easter candy but still.  Don’t be afraid to look outside the box for containers.  She used mason jars and new pots meant to be for plants. Even a nice glass bowl from your kitchen would work well.  If you found a good shape container you like, you can always cover it if you needed

Look at PartyCity or something for small baggies.  You don’t want guests to take home too much.

The topic ‘Candy Bar on $100 in 28 days?? is it Doable?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors