Can't start planning a wedding til after nursing school in May 2015!!!

posted 2 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 2
42089 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

LongIslandRN:  I would go ahead with your research on  hotels, officiants , flights etc, but put it all on hold till you know the date of the orientation. You can make some decisions and purchases like your dress, his outfit etc, but I doubt you’d have any trouble booking travel or  hotel in the summer months.

Post # 3
249 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

LongIslandRN:  I think you should wait to get married until after you get settled in your job.  Would you still get married with just the two of you if you waited?  If you’ve already got your foot in the door and have an opportunity to get hired right away after graduating and passing the boards, then I wouldn’t pass up that chance.  I don’t know how it is where you’re from, but nursing school is very difficult to get into in California and there are so many new graduates that can’t even get an interview.  Not saying you wouldn’t, but what happens if you don’t pass the boards?  If that happened to me, I would be devastated and it would ruin my wedding. 

Post # 4
1542 posts
Bumble bee

Hey Lady!

I’ve been an RN for about a year and a half now. I applied to several jobs before graduating (like up to 3 months before graduating, with no experience, at that. At least you have some work experience!), and landed my first job offer a week after I graduated. It was the beginning of summer and I told them off the bat that I had a vacation scheduled for the first 15 days of summer. They said as long as I passed my boards (which I did), the job would be waiting and ready for when I returned. My advice: Take the lead, be stellar in your interview (that silly portfolio will make a difference if you know how to use it, and be confident!). State your grounds as soon as you recieve a job offer, any worhty employer will hold out a couple weeks for a worthy recruit!

You’re finishing nursing school and getting married! Sounds to me like you have your life in order. To me, that’s a worthy reason to postpone your orientation for a couple of weeks! Just be upfront, and send out many, many applications.

This part is unrelated to the wedding situation:

The nursing profession offers a vast array of opportunities! Many new nurses are set on a particular field. My advice is to be open-minded! I landed my first job in what I thought was the field of my dreams! I quickly found out it wasn’t for me, and transferred to a different department. I hated the thought of ever working in my current department, and now I love it! Just keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to try new things! We nurses are brave folk, after all 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors