Post # 1
Six months ago my husband and I moved to a new province for his career. When we decided to move, I was pregnant and the move would have coincideed nicely with my maternity leave so work wasn’t much of a consideration. Unfortunately we had a miscarriage.
I took a few months off while we found a new house and to get to know the area but I’ve been applying for jobs seriously for about 4 months without much luck. Then this week I had interviews with two companies. One is for only eight months (to cover a mat leave) and doesn’t pay great. They have offered me the job. The other would pay slightly better and would be a fulltime job however I have only had a phone interview with them and there seems to be lots of steps to go before they decide on their candidate. The first company would need an answer before next week.
We really want to start ttc but I worry that if I take the safe route and take the 8 month temp job it will take me a few months to get preganant and then I’ll be out of work and too far along in my pregnancy to get hired somewhere else. Last time we got pregnant on our first try but that’s not to say it will happen like that again. However, if I pass on the temp job I might not even get the fulltime one and I’ll be back to square one. What do you bees think? Should I take the temp job or hold out for something permanent?
Post # 3
Sorry to hear about your loss.
That’s a tough one –
Here’s a question for you – After the baby is born, would you go back to work or be a SAHM?
I would honestly go for the temp job, Would you have to stay the entire 8 month duration?
It’s a tough situation and really depends on a financial stand point for you and your husband.
Post # 4
@Olive27: Can you survive on your husband’s salary alone? I would still take this job. No guarantees when you will conceive, and perhaps you don’t until 4-5 months from now and are able to finish out the assignment. Were you planning on going back to work/would it be feasible to work, meaning, amount you would make would be more than the cost of childcare?
Post # 5
- Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island
I would take the job that was offered. If the one you really want gets offered to you later, then quit to take it. In this kind of economy, they’ll have no shortage of applicants to take your spot. And if you plan on working after the baby comes, it’s better to have a permanent, full-time job already lined up to return to. That way if you don’t get the one you really want, at least you’re still employed in the meantime until you find something else.
Post # 6
Thanks ladies. I decided to take the job and start in a few days. Here’s hoping for a fast conception!