(Closed) Cater meal OR H’orderves & Dessert

posted 8 years ago in Food
Post # 3
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Check with a local culinary program?  Students will work cheap and have the food prep knowledge.

If you want to go with the buffet, can you check with your caterer to see if they have relationships with local soup kitchens?  I really don’t know if this is a viable option, but it might be worth looking into.  Or set out chinese-style take out containers and guests can take something home.

Post # 4
216 posts
Helper bee

I’m not sure if 7pm would be too early. Since you are not providing dinner, you want to be sure that your guests had a light dinner beforehand so that they are not hungry and disappointed.

If your caterer if a great option why have DIY h’orderves and desserts? Why not go for a buffet then and have friends/family cook? Personally I find h’ordervers and desserts difficult.

Post # 6
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think this depends on where your guests are from–I live in NYC, and 8 pm is prime dinner time here. I think East Coasters would assume a dinner if you started at 7.

Why not do bamboo or disposable plates for the chinaware?

Post # 7
597 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I’m jealous! I wanted an appetizers/desserts/cocktails type of reception too, but it didn’t work out that way:(

Enjoy!

How about offering a dessert bar? 🙂

Post # 8
189 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

What do they mean by “green”?  Do they mean you can’t use plastic plates or you can’t toss leftover food? 

I’m confused how doing only apps would save you rental money.  Would you do passed appetizers with napkins only? If not, you still have to get plates and glasses.  So really you’d just be saving on the silverware, right?  Unless you’re thinking of not doing tables too. 

@ Olive25- I looked into doing ‘Bambu’ or ‘Verterrra’ brand plates for our wedding because I thought they looked pretty.  Unfortunately, those plates are no cheaper than renting actual china and I’ve heard they’re really thin.  Also, one of the websites recommended 3 plates per person for cocktail receptions of 4 hours.  !!

Post # 9
2362 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

Where I’m from I would expect dinner. If I have to be at your ceremony by 7 that means I’m leaving around 6:15. I have to get ready before that which means no dinner or eating with the blue hairs.

The topic ‘Cater meal OR H’orderves & Dessert’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors