Catering Indian Food for 200 guests?

posted 1 year ago in Food
71 posts
Worker bee

I LOVE Indian food, BUT I know it can be a tough choice because I know people who absolutely hate curry (a common ingredient of Indian food) and some people just don’t like spicy food, so with that said, you and your FI know your guests better. If there’s any doubt at all, I would advise U err on the side of caution and go with a different option for those that may not be so into the Indian food. 

1096 posts
Bumble bee

I have been to an indian catered wedding with over 500 guests and everyone loved the food!  That being said, the bride and groom were indian as were the majority of the guests.  I would make sure to have mild options available like lemon chicken and plain rice. 

7368 posts
Busy Beekeeper

I’ve never had Indian food and would honestly be too scared to try very many things. Also, if anyone has any problems with acid, wouldnt that be really bad for them?

1410 posts
Bumble bee

@Mrs.babycat:  Great advice. A few milder dishes, and butter chicken might help for the less sure guests (cause EVERYONE except me seems to think butter chicken is the greatest thing in the world). I personally LOVE indian food though, so am not the best judge!

1410 posts
Bumble bee

@allyfally:  Meant to add to the last post, but apparently I fail at the internet. You have a point about people who have never had Indian before. How would you feel if you went and there were different types of breads and something like lassi (fruit and yoghurt based drink)? Is it just the curries, or a new food type in general (not to be rude. I am genuinly curious).

5662 posts
Bee Keeper

Maybe this indicates a cultural difference between the US and the UK, but I’d just serve the food, and if anyone had a problem with it then I would be horrified at their ignorance. I remember watching an episode of four weddings where two of the brides had a problem with the curry at another bride’s wedding, they ate nothing, and then left early to have fish and chips. The third bride (the guest, not the lady getting married) was absolutely horrified. If I was her, I would have been livid with the other two. I don’t think I would have even spoken to them again. I wouldn’t have said anything to the bride to spoil her day, but I think that behaviour is unforgivable.

… but on to brighter things. I suggest serving a menu which is full of vegetables, with lots of spice but very little heat (ask the caterer to go easy on the chillis) and a variety of side sauces which you could add to mild dishes to make them hotter. I would also serve plenty of salad, lots of lassi, and have plenty of yoghurt or onion based dips available. You could also offer plenty of food which is grilled or barbecued, over which people could pour the sauce of their choice.

You don’t say which type of Indian food this restaurant serves, or how authentic it is. What sorts of dishes feature heavily on their menu?

454 posts
Helper bee

So this is what I plan to do for my fusion wedding. I’m hindu and no function for my side would ever be complete without a decent curry but I know that not everyone can handle spicy food and lots of people just aren’t very adventurous.

We plan on doing a very basic western menu – I’m talking like simple sunday lunch kinda food. We will then be bringing in some extra indian food from a different caterer. This could be an option for you as long as you can work the budget and the western caterer is prepared to serve the indian food. 

337 posts
Helper bee

maybe you can have some indian food and some western food as well. as not all people like the indian taste. but i loved it

246 posts
Helper bee

I think it’s a great idea, personally! I once went to a wedding where dinner was catered by a local Thai restaurant, and it was INCREDIBLE! I’m certain not all of the guests were familiar with Thai, but it was a big hit.

7368 posts
Busy Beekeeper

@farawayviolet:  For me its more of what the food might do to me than it just being new food. I personally react badly to a lot of different kinds of foods. Tomato based foods make me ill, anything with onions in it makes me ill, ect. So I’m probably not the best judge either. Bread would be fine, but you cant really make a meal out of bread.

1675 posts
Bumble bee

I love Indian food, but my fiance doesn’t… so we usually just order him tandoori chicken when I get an Indian craving. It’s simple enough to satisfy most picky eaters, I think, so adding something simple like that might make it more palatable for non-Indian food lovers! And besides, everyone loves rice and bread, so you can have lots of rice and naan available… maybe a simple tossed salad, too… or some pakoras, which are barely spicy and basically just yummy fried things! 

10652 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

I looooove Indian food. However, many people do not.  I think you have some more generic, plain dishes that aren’t spicy it will be okay for the non-adventurous eaters.  

Are you having a traditional Armenian wedding? If so, I’d expect Armenian food and while I don’t know a whole lot about Armenian food, I’m guessing it’s quite different then typical American wedding food.  Therefore, I don’t see a huge jump between having Armenian food and having Indian food.  If I go to an Indian wedding, whether or not I like Indian food, I expect that is what will be served.  It’s a great chance for guests to try new food and I can’t imagine adults not being excited about taking advantage of such a fun and yummy opportunity. The first time I ever had Indian food was at an Indian wedding!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.