(Closed) Catholic Church & Priest in Lower Manhattan – Help!

posted 7 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

i am no help because i do not live in your area, but let me tell you. I was blown away by how accepting our Dioceses is about marriage these days…we just did our pre cana class and have had some discussions with the deacon at the church we are marrying in (FI’s uncle is a catholic priest and is actually marrying us but lives in Tulsa) anyway…Fiance comes from a pretty traditional catholic family, where i grew up catholic but didnt practice like he did, i was very intimidated because you hear horror stories about not being allowed to marry or them preaching they ways of the church  but really i was amazed by the role they took in our marriage prep. they basically told us, we are giving you everything you need to start a beautiful marriage and make it last until death. We had alot of people in our class who lived together, have kids, so on and so on. i always had this pre concieved notion that the catholic church was extremely strict. it made me look at the chruch in a new light ๐Ÿ™‚ i highly suggest talking Fiance into a catholic wedding ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 5
220 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I was in the same boat as you and found the perfect priest and place! We are getting married at the Seton Shrine in Lower Manhattan across the street from the Staten Island Ferry.  The church is adorably small and only fits MAX 200 pple (this includes balcony space), but Father Meehan is totally chill and basically likes to do a “one size fits all” kind of service w/o communion (which my Fiance was really happy about)!  All you have to do meet with him to have it officially put in their calendar.  Is your Fiance baptized?

Post # 7
922 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

So I got married at Church of our Savior – 38th and park – that too far uptown?  The church is AMAZING!  While Father Rutler is more conservative than you probably want, he knew we lived togother, he didn’t make a big deal of it at all.  The Pre-Cana teacher is hilarious – he came to our apartment and told us stories for 4 hours.

Post # 8
627 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

St. Joseph’s in the Village. It’s on West Fourth St. and it’s the church associated with NYU. Fr. Vincent is very chill, very open and understanding. Plus he knows a ton about church art and gives really great, relatable homilies.

Post # 9
1226 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

St. Francis Xavier on 16th Street!  It is very welcoming and accepting.  Many of the homilies are about tolerance, accepting all sorts of people, etc.  There is a big focus on public service as well.  We’re getting married there and love attending mass there.  It’s one church that has never offended my liberal sensibilities. ๐Ÿ™‚  It’s worth checking out!  PM me if you want any more info.    

The topic ‘Catholic Church & Priest in Lower Manhattan – Help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors