(Closed) Ceremony & Reception at the same place, How to work out Cocktail Hour?

posted 9 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
2365 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

There usually isn’t a cocktail hour if it’s in the same venue, from what I’ve seen. I’ve always seen the guests mingle before everything began … if that makes sense

Post # 4
2250 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

i don’t know if your venue has a wedding coordinator but you could ask what other brides int hat space have done.

Post # 5
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

Our ceremony and reception are in the same place, this is actually quite common.  I’m not sure of the setup at your venue, but our ceremony is in a garden, the cocktail party is on a veranda and the grounds of the venue and then everyone is moved inside to a large tent for the reception, so there are actually 3 distinct phases and locations.  Our caterer is setting up a separate bar on the veranda for the cocktail hour and cocktail tables will be set up for use during the cocktail hour.  Is there a way for your caterer to do the same?

Post # 6
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Actually I’ve found it very common to have a cocktail hour when you have ceremony & reception at same place. Because most times your not asking guests to leave then return to another location and you will most likely be taking pictures on site somewhere. So cocktail hour in between will allow them something else to do while you are taking pictures.

Talk to your venue and ask them, most places have other smaller rooms you can use for cocktail hour. That way they can set up cocktail hour first (minimal set up) and finish up the reception while guests are enjoying cocktail hour. Or if there is no seperate room to use consider putting some hi top tables up around the bar so that there is an "area" for guestst to mingle while the venue finishes setting up?

Our wedding will be at a vineyard and both ceremony & reception will be outdoors. So for cocktail hour we will be taking them indoors (out of the heat for a bit!) to either the tasting room or barrel room depending on which exact venue we are going with.

Good Luck!

Post # 7
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

Perhaps the venue has moveable partitions that they can use to separate the cocktail area from the dinner place.  My venue is basically one big room as well, so we have partitions to make it basically 3 different rooms and then for the dinner everything will open back up to one big room.

The topic ‘Ceremony & Reception at the same place, How to work out Cocktail Hour?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors