(Closed) Ceremony & Reception in the same room?

posted 8 years ago in Decor
  • poll: Is it too weird?
    Yeah, that's really weird : (4 votes)
    11 %
    It's a little different, but it could work : (9 votes)
    24 %
    It's a great idea, go for it : (24 votes)
    65 %
  • Post # 3
    454 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2011

Yes I’ve seen it done. The guests just sit at the tables instead of in a pew or lined chairs. The couple created an aisle in the middle of the table and after the ceremony was over we (we’re dj’s) add the mirror ball. They were all nice weddings. They were semi-formal weddings.

Post # 4
    48 posts
    • Wedding: May 2010

We’re doing exactly that for my daughters wedding. We’re making a privacy curtain to hide the kitchen area from view and that leaves the rest of the room for the actual wedding/reception. She’ll enter through the center of the curtains, walk down between all the guests tables where everyone will be sitting, and the ceremony will be in front of their table. We’re going to have the food/drink tables set up in a corner in the back by the curtains (buffet style). She wants her cake sitting in the center of the buffet table (on a raised platform…we’ll use a plastic milk crate because it’ll be covered w/ the linens) so everyone can see it as they go through the food line. She wants candle around it, but I’m trying to tell her I don’t think that is a good idea because people may “bump” them and knock them over. My solution is a seperate cake table then she could have her candles w/ less chances of an accident. Her wedding also is only between 30-50 guests (I’d say more towards 30), no wedding party…just him and her. So I’d have to say yes it’s fine, it may not be “traditional” but it’s what she asked for and if makes her happy then thats all that matters. So just do what makes you and your future hubby happy, and don’t worry about “normal” πŸ™‚

Post # 5
    5985 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

our ceremony and reception will be in the same room. πŸ˜€ 

it is a great idea i think πŸ˜€

good luck

Post # 6
    1313 posts
    Bumble bee

My cousin’s wedding was in an old theater and they did this exactly… It was GORGEOUS!

My entire family commented on how easy it was. Everyone loved it! I heard no complaints.

I say go for it

Post # 7
    282 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

We’re doing this, and a lot of the weddings I have been to recently have done the same thing. We’re having our ceremony in the room, moving guests out to the foyer for cocktail hour, and then bringing them back into the room for the reception (which will have been set up during the cocktail hour).

Post # 8
    343 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

We’re having ceremony & reception in the same garden – same idea.  When guests arrive it will be set up for the ceremony in one half of the garden.  Directly following ceremony, guests will move to the other half of the garden for cocktail hour.  During cocktail hour, the ceremony half will be transformed to the reception half, and guests will move over there for dinner.  We’re setting up the bar and musicians in teh center of the garden so they won’t have to move. 

I think it works well especially for small weddings where there is less to set up!

Post # 9
    149 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

Our ceremony and reception ate in the same room, but there will be a switch-out of the room set up in between. 

At one point when we thought we could get away with inviting fewer people, we wanted to have it at a beautiful house in the back yard, and we wnated to do exactly what you are talking about doing. I think it will be beautiful and intimate and people will not feel like they are being heardrd around like you sometimes do at wedding with a traditional set-up. 

Post # 10
    382 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

We are having everyone sit at their dinner tables for the ceremony. We are creating an aisle down the middle of them. What a cost cutter! You don’t have to pay for seperate venues or seperate chairs. It’s a great idea.

Post # 11
    1897 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

I think nothings wrong with this!  I have only seen it on TV though…it seems to work well!  I think it makes a lot of sense.

Post # 12
    3979 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

I didn’t vote because I don’t think this is out of the ordinary at all! I’ve seen tons of weddings online where they’ve done this… Sometimes its just more practical πŸ™‚ I’ve only been to one wedding where they did this & during the cocktail hour they kept us in another room while the staff changed the room over from the ceremony site to the reception.

Post # 13
    546 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I was at a couple weddings where they had this. 

The first one was in a museum.  They had the chairs set up for the ceremony.  A few hours later they had the reception and tables were set up.  The museum staff did this all for them though.

The second one was my sisters.  The room already had a dividing wall that juat moved aside so it was really handy.

I think any of the above ways would work too.

Post # 14
    237 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

This might be something I’ll end up doing too.

Good luck! πŸ™‚

Post # 15
    3 posts
    • Wedding: November 2011

I am having a wedding and reception in the same room and i am so worried and my sister is making it worse what should i do?

Post # 16
    664 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

I think it’s a fantastic idea and would be doing it myself if I could have gotten my Fiance on board.

The topic ‘Ceremony & Reception in the same room?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors