(Closed) Ceremony/Reception venue that doesn’t cost an arm, leg & eyeball

posted 9 years ago in Denver
Post # 3
350 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Curlysue, have you looked at the Chief Hosa Lodge in Golden, just off I-70?  Unfortunately I have absolutely ZERO idea what it costs (my fiance went to look at it but thought it was too small, so we didn’t investigate further), but it’s a cool, rustic venue.  

Post # 4
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2009

One area I looked at was the Botanic Gardens at Chatfield (C-470 and Wadsworth) It’s very close to the foothills, very beautiful, Wedding Packages (which are about 6 hours) are 1100 to 1400.  http://www.botanicgardens.org/content/chatfield-wedding-packages  I would have used that if I hadn’t had a friend who lives in a community with a great clubhouse/park that we got for free.  But we’re having a small wedding or it wouldn’t have worked  Good luck!!

Post # 6
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2009

We are getting married at DU at their HRTM building – http://www.daniels.du.edu/WeddingPlanning.aspx – they are FABULOUS.  You have to use their catering (they’re a restaurant school), but their prices are really reasonable ($30 per for formal sit down, and as cheap as 12-16 per for some of their buffets).  They also have both ceremony and reception space available in one.  I’m an alumni so I got the entire building for our venue for $900.00, but their prices are pretty reasonable, in any case.

Post # 7
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2009

You should look at venues in Estes Park.  We’re getting married at Wild Basin Lodge (www.wildbasinlodge.com) and it’s very elegant but still rustic and if you have a reasonable guest list doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.  They have all-inclusive pricing and if you want will even include the flowers and cake in a per person fee.  (or, not, and it’s cheaper still). 

Here’s the thing though, you need to get your mom off Saturday!  We’re doing ours on Sunday and it saved SO much money!  The PP fee is cheaper on Sunday, and our guests can come up and vacation on Saturday, wedding on Sunday, travel home on Monday.  It’s really no different than a Saturday wedding, more relaxing (in my opinion), and we didn’t lose a single guest to the Sunday.  

Good luck!

Post # 8
8 posts
Newbee

There is a newer location in Loveland, CO called the Garden Room.  It has a semi vintage feel to it.  It is located in an industrial business park but once inside it’s gorgeous.  They are very reasonably priced and can recommend vendors that have worked there before.

Good Luck!

Post # 9
365 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

We had our wedding at Marys Lake Lodge in Estes Park (www.maryslakelodge.com).  It was beautiful and the people at Marys were fabulous.  $6000 doesn’t sound unreasonable, but it would depend on how many guests you’re talking.  

Post # 10
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

In defense of Saturdays – I know they are pricier but it is impossible for me to get single weekdays off at my job.  Hard enough to be guaranteed a specific weekend off.  So if there’s a wedding I have to travel for, I can’t go unless its Saturday or I take an entire week of vacation for it.  But it is pricier! 

We are getting married at Snow Mountain Ranch near Winter Park.  It is a YMCA facility, they have lots of different options depending on how big of a wedding you want to have.  They have tons of land there and they have designated sites for ceremonies but they are also flexible if you see a spot that is just perfect and will let you do a ceremony just about anywhere.  For me, many guests would be travelling from out of town so it was very important to have affordable lodging on site.  October is a great month to get married there, it is the off season and they have reasonably priced rooms as well as larger cabins.  Plus, if there are 20 rooms booked for your event, they’ll refund you for half of the reception site fee (I believe that’s the deal) which is great.  I don’t think they charge more for Saturdays but not sure.  Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Post # 11
121 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

A couple more places for you to check out:

1.  The Barn at Evergreen Memorial Park  http://www.thebarnatemp.com/

This is really cool–they took 5 barns and mashed them together into one barn, with stained glass windows and an upstairs loft.  It sits on 2000 acres or so, most of which is an animal preserve.  They also have a buffalo herd.  The ‘catch’ if you call it that is that it’s also a cemetary, and the cemetary is right next to the barn….in the same way that a cemetary is next to the church in older churches.  Less than $2K to rent.

2.  Chief Hosa is owned by either JeffCo or Denver, I think it’s a Denver Mtn Park, so it’s very reasonably priced.  We looked at it, the downside was that although it overlooks the Rockies, it also overlooks I-70.  Depends on how much time you want to spend outside.

3.  Definitely check out the Boettcher Mansion—again, owned by Jeffco, I think, and suprisingly reasonably priced.  Beautfiul old arts&craft mansion on top of Lookout Mtn in Golden.

4.  We are getting married at the Red Barn Group Picnic Area in Golden Gate Canyon State Park, outside of Golden.  It’s $200 for the site, which is locked and off-limits unless you have a reservation.  You also have to pay for the daily park passes ($6/car) for your guests—I don’t mind, b/c I’d rather that my wedding rental money go to a good cause (a state park!) instead of a rental facility).   It is well-insulated from other ‘public’ areas, so you shouldn’t have to worry about noise or crashers.  We are getting married in the aspen grove, and right across a small creek are 2 barns filled with picnic tables.  Glass bottles are allowed, but only 3.2% alcohol (although the rangers said they don’t really check unless you get rowdy).  The biggest downside to this venue is that you have to be flexible on date, depending on when you’re hoping to get married.  They only take reservations on the first monday in february, for the entire year, regardless of when you want it.  We assembled a team of 5 people to call in, and lucked out and got our #2 choice date.  If you want june, probably have to ‘compete’; other months, probably not as a big a deal.  I met a woman who got married there in august, and she’d only called 2 months in advance.  Be aware, though, that this is much more a ‘DIY’ wedding site—you have to bring in everything.  We are having a catered picnic—they are bringing in grills, etc, and cooking cilantro tuna and teriyaki chicken.  I figure you should match the food to what’s easy to make on site, and it will taste better!

5.  Finally, there’s also the Meadows at Marshdalehttp://www.meadowsatmarshdale.com/  Was also pretty reasonable, another old barn turned event center.  Seating for 100 or so on the main level, buffet on the porch, and outside bar area, and dancing downstairs.  Also a separate outdoor ceremony area (an extra $400 to use).  I think the barn, without the outdoor site, was around $1800.

Good luck!!!  Feel free to PM me if you want more info!

Post # 12
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Another option for Saturday — we’re getting married Saturday morning at our venue and getting 15% off as a result.

Post # 13
142 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Mount Vernon Country Club. They are beyond amazing, and it’s up on lookout mountain. If you do it Saturday morning, you get the room rental for free! Well that’s what they told me like a month ago, i’m sure it’s still going. They have delicious food, and I have been there about 5 times I think (no, I’m not a member, just random events). I actually won a nearly free wedding from the stonebrook manor, otherwise this is where I would of had mine.

Here’s why they are great. That horrible snow we got back in April, my friend was supposed to get married that Saturday, well that didn’t happen. They were able to move her to another room for Sunday, they had like 3.5 feet of snow, they shoveled us a path so we could take pics outside, they had power to half the place and they got us extension cords so we could curl our hair, they were so great. So it snowed, which sucked, but the day was amazing.

Sorry for rambling, I just think this place is awesome, lol. if you wanna check it out…. http://www.mountvernoncc.com.

Good luck in your search!

Post # 14
142 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

oh also, I re read your first post, I have a super tiny budget (we’re talking like 2k!) and I would have been able to do it there, but I also have an extremely small guest list! Not sure how big yours is.

Post # 15
522 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@MeadowBride, I am doing a Friday at Wild Basin instead of a Saturday.  I suppose the price isn’t that much different, but I don’t have to worry about meeting a minimum # of guests since it’ll be a Friday.  A wedding on the smaller side and on a day other than Saturday would be more affordable and still have the rustic beauty of Estes!

Post # 16
14 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Mc C ranch in masonville co. Its a really nice private ranch with gorgeous views of the mountains and a nice building for a indoor reception. Were getting married up there in June. The couple charges $1500. That includes round and rectangle tables and 300 white folding chairs. there is a dance floor and ready room for the bride. there is room for up to 450 people. We loved this place and were very excited about the price. Plus food, alcohol, decorating is totally up to you. Also for the $1500, you get the place Thursday thru Sunday!

The topic ‘Ceremony/Reception venue that doesn’t cost an arm, leg & eyeball’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors