Post # 1
Fi and I are both very limited, wedding date wise, because of our jobs. We initially planned to get married on Sept 25 2010, but because of changes in my family situation (happy to explain but didn’t want to flood with unnecessary detail), we really want to move it up, and the only dates we feel are real options are the 2nd or 9th of January.
Needless to say this is a big change! However, I will be mostly free over summer, and feel that I would have the time to get the necessary stuff done.
BUT, I just realised that one of my two best friends is going to India with her family (she’s Indian), and I’m pretty sure they’re not back til the end of January. They’ve booked their tickets already. I would be so upset to make her miss my wedding by moving the date. I really want her there! She is either my MOH or one of my two MOHs (haven’t decided yet). But should I organise the date around her? She would be pretty devastated, I’m waiting to hear back from her to confirm what I already know about their dates.
But if I do work around her, it means waiting another 5 months with a less than ideal situation in that time. Ug. I’m praying for an out somewhere… any ideas? What you do?
Post # 3
It’s really hard to offer suggestions because we don’t know what your limitations are and if there might be other ways to finesse the dates.
Post # 4
Could you move the date and still use the summer to do things? There would still be things you couldn’t do until the end (e.g. seating charts, if you do them), but I had an 18 month engagement and I was able to knock out a lot of things pretty far in advance.
Post # 5
Ooh I feel for you. We had to go through something similar and move the date up a year. But by that point I had already asked my best friend to be MOH and she lives in Spain, in addition most of my family live in Australia or elsewhere in Europe. I just had to contact them all and explain the situation and hope they could still make it. Ultimately we had to move the date to accommodate us and it works out better for us this way – and though I’d love for all my friends and family to be there it was never going to be an option anyways so we’re just going to hope that those who really want to be there will be able to figure themselves out.
So if I were you I’d move the date up and then call your friend and talk to her about it, say that you’d love for her to be there but you’ve moved the date up for XYZ reasons and you hope that she’ll still be able to make it. But that’s just how I feel about it.
Hope you sort something out!