(Closed) Cheap (under $1000) wedding photographers in NYC?

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
1986 posts
Buzzing bee

A couple ideas- It’s nearly impossible to haggle outright with a photographer on weddings. Weddings take a lot of time, expensive equipment, and know-how. I know it may seem like they are just shooting for a few hours, but then they go home and edit for 2 weeks, so it really is a time consuming job.

That said, you could always cut back on a couple areas, opt for one photographer instead of 2, hire 1 pro photographer for a fraction of the time (say the wedding ceremony itself, and bridal party pics) and then hire 2 or 3 students for the rest of the reception (and maybe even the prep photos), or hire a pro for just 4 hours instead of 8.

I would be cautious about hiring budding photographers for weddings, unless they have specific event experience. The equipment needed is more expensive and people starting out don’t always have that (lenses, mostly, and flashes).

Post # 4
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Hmmm. Honestly, this is the one place in my budget that i’d splurge, if I were you. Photogs aren’t (for the most part) all wedding-industry-complexed. Most are individuals who own their own business, and don’t make that much after all is said and done. When you consider that most (good) photogs spend over 40 hours dealing with anindividual wedding, and have to pay sales tax, business tax, income tax, plus pay for their websites, fancy computers, expensive software, tens of thousands in equipment, second shooters, professional memberships, and private health care, this is really one aspect of weddings that I would recommend actually paying a decent wage for. 

I also wholeheartedly support helping a student grow their portfolio – that’s a great cause to contribute to. But other avenues, such as hiring a real amateur, will really leave you disappointed. And I can’t warn you off of having only your guests take photos enough. You’ll be really disappointed!

Post # 6
2385 posts
Buzzing bee

Craigslist is a good place to find budding photograpers, just be sure they have a good portfolio and can answer your questions intellegently. 

The topic ‘Cheap (under $1000) wedding photographers in NYC?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors