Post # 1
My wedding is on Saturday (yay!!!!) and we have a lot of people flying in for it. My mom’s current freak out is about the Chicago airport fire and how lots of flights are still being cancelled. We don’t live in Chicago, but my aunt from Arizona and my brother from Florida will be making their layovers there on Wednesday and Thursday before landing in Albany NY.
I tried to get information from the news online, but it’s all very sensational and dramatic. To the bees who live in the Chicago area or bees who have experienced any disruption from the fire and cancellations, how bad is it really?
My mom is asking that I find out the status of my brother’s flight to see what’s going on. Part of me at first says “He’s 27! He can call.” Then the next second my mom’s stress self enters my body and I worry my brother wouldn’t get to my wedding. Should I worry? Or should I have a mimosa?
Post # 2
1. Have two mimosas.
2. Call your brother and ask him if he’d gotten word from the airline he is traveling with of any cancellations/changes.Tell him to keep you and your mother posted.
3. Have another mimosa and fall down the Beyonce videos rabbit hole.
Post # 3
Have another mimosas. It happened on Friday, and most of the backlog/delays should be handled by the end of the week. Plus, if they get delayed Wednesday/Thursday, they should still be able to redirect through a plan B by Saturday.
Don’t let your mom’s panic effect your wedding week. My mom and DH’s mom’s panic caused the few small errors on our wedding day to happen.
Post # 4
Things are slowly getting back to normal but it does take a while to re-accomodate all those displaced passengers, plus there are aircraft and crew out of position, meaning your plane might be parked at O’Hare but your flight crew is stuck in Denver. Personally I think that, by Wednesday, things will be back to mostly normal, with few cancellations but a fair number of delays, due to the temporary relocation of the ATC services and personnel.
First, have a mimosa. Then tell your mother to have a mimosa. Then send an email or make a quick call to your traveling guests and recommend they contact their airline; many of the airlines are allowing customers to make a one-time change to their itinerary, so that they can route around O’Hare (maybe go Phoenix-Dallas-Albany or Phoenix-Washington Dulles-Albany depending on which airline they are flying) or book into a longer layover in Chicago to make more of a cushion against a missed connection. You will not be able to make this change for them; the ticketed passenger must make the change.
I would be perfectly comfortable connecting through Chicago in the current situation with 90 minutes or more layover but would not want to go below 90 minutes.
Post # 5
Horseradish: Thank you!!! Turns out Southwest has a link right on their website to change flights free of charge. My brother is going to switch his even though his original might still work out. Saves he and I a lot of emails from our mother! Wish I could send a mimosa down to him
Post # 6
You should be ok. I am from Chicago and my husband and I were trying to get there to visit this past weekend and we ended up having to cancel that trip and will be trying again next weekend. However, flights are getting better everyday. Things aren’t going to be fully recovered from this until mid-October, however I think as of today most flights will go out, you can just expect more delays. Worse case scenario is that it takes an extra day to get there- definitely a pain, but they WILL be there for your wedding.
Post # 7
I’m flying from NC to CA with a layover at Chicago Midway on Oct 6th. I’m really hoping we won’t have any issues because I’m flying with an 11 month old!
I think we’ll both be okay. At least I hope so!