(Closed) Chicago – Irish American Heritage Center & Ravenswood Event Center?

posted 7 years ago in Chicago
Post # 3
96 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

we helped some friends of ours host their 10th anniversary party at the Irish American Heritage Center.  we used the semi-private space on the first floor, not their fancier spaces on the higher floors.  Everything went smoothly, and the staff we dealt with was very easy going and accomodating; and there weren’t that many upcharges… but that event was much lower key than a wedding (as I’ve now learned, in planning my own wedding this year!).

Post # 4
20 posts
  • Wedding: August 2012

@bigfatgrace:  Congrats on narrowing down your venue choices!  My fiance and I are getting married at Ravenswood Event Center next August and they have been a dream to work with!  They’ve been very quick to reply with any questions I’ve had, no matter how small or trivial.  I also love the location – easily accessible by train, plenty of cabs, and not too far from the downtown hotels.  

While our wedding hasn’t happened yet, I will say that I’ve been to a number of events there and each one has taken my breath away.  It’s such a unique venue and for people who haven’t been there before, it’s an amazing surprise.  The entranceway looks like that of an office building, but you’re suddenly transported into a fun and elegant event space.  I think it has that wow-factor.

If you haven’t made your decision yet, I’d be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about our experience working with the team at Ravenswood Event Center.  

Post # 5
2401 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’ve been to the Irish Heritage Center many a times, but never for a wedding. It’s a pretty lovely space. Nothing glamourous or exciting, really. But it’s great if you are looking for a subdued space. The Ravenswood Event Center, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. Same goes with price. It’s a bargain to go the Irish Heritage Center route. You’re looking at 120/person at the Ravenswood space. 

Post # 6
3 posts
  • Wedding: September 2012

We are also looking into the IAHC for our Reception.  I’ve heard great things about price and that the bar package is usually negotiable.  Bigfatgrace, did you decide on IAHC vs. Ravenswood Event Center?? 

I am just recently engaged, but planning on a September wedding.  Still waiting for a callback or email from someone at the Heritage Center…

Post # 8
3 posts
  • Wedding: September 2012

@bigfatgrace:  THANK YOU so much for the detailed post!

We are getting married at St. Benedict Church nearby, and I think we have also decided on the Erin Room at the IAHC.  We are also considering a cocktail hour in the 2nd floor museam.  Finally got in to look at the whole building last week, and we have been working with Deirdre, and she is great to deal with.  (I guess they underwent some internal change, which is why they were so slow in getting back to me).  It’s an amazing space with so many “pros”, but I agree with you about the “cons” you listed.  Just some questions/comments – I want your opinion about (this is stressful!)

– I checked out the Marriott Spring Hill Suites on Higgins & Cumberland…nicer than that Holday Inn, and at only $99/night (includes parking & free breakfast).

– Bar package IS steep. We are considering the mid-level open bar package ($30/person). Which did you choose? I am debating if doing a tab at the end of the night would turn out to be cheaper than the approx $6000 (with tip/tax) package option. 

– What catering company are you using? I am getting info from 3 of the companies on the IAHC’s preferred vendor list.  My concern is that they need to provide all dishes/flatware/glasses and linens.

– Are you doing chaircovers? The basic chairs they have in the Erin Room are kind of 80s

I would love to get your feedback, as another bride in my situation!!

Post # 10
1 posts

@ ohmybears 48, @bigfatrace and @septbride81

I’m having my wedding at the IAHC next September (9/28/13).  I’m using the 5th province for my ceremony and the Erin Room for my reception.   I’ve been going back and forth regarding caterers and who to select.  I have’t gone to any tastings yet, as it’s too soon. Instead i’ve been reading reviews about each of the preferred vendors. I have a guest list that was at 300 and i’ve got it down to 270. To me, having food stations causes inconsistencies with when people get up and when people are seated with a group that size. Some will be finished eating while others are just getting their food.  However, I’m not totally ruling it out.

Therefore, I’m wondering what helped you with your decisions on hiring the caterer. Was it the tasting? What ameneties they offer? Service?

In addition, I was also looking into chair covers only because of the condition of the chairs. When I saw them they looked dirty and stained. I really don’t want to get them if I don’t have to.  Maybe with the lights dimmed, no one will really notice???

Also, thanks posting info on the hotels. I was totally leaning toward the Holiday Inn b/c it is right off of 94 – basically a straight shot. My attention getter with the hotels is which one can shuttle my guests to the hotel after the reception so no one drives drunk.

I look forward to being a part of this thread with you! This is so helpful!

Post # 11
2 posts

@bigfatgrace:  I was wondering if you could tell me how much it is to have the reception at the heritage center. Deirdre is out till the 11th and I am trying to get my information all striaghtened out. Also, the heritage center provides the alcohol not the caterer? Can you bring your own in or no? Also, the caterer provides the linens, not the center? Let me know, thanks. 

The topic ‘Chicago – Irish American Heritage Center & Ravenswood Event Center?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors