(Closed) Child free reception to save $1000???

posted 5 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Should we make our wedding child free in order to save $1000?
    Yes definitely, they will be too young to enjoy it anyway and that money could buy some furniture! : (37 votes)
    69 %
    No way- they are your family and it will be too hard for the parents to find someone to mind them : (11 votes)
    20 %
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't. : (6 votes)
    11 %
  • Post # 3
    Hostess
    8587 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

This could be bad if you barely made the 100 guest requirement.

I say this because some parents will opt NOT to attend if their kids cannot attend, if a bunch of them do, you might end up screwed!

I think you need to weigh your options. Is the ONLY reason you don’t want kids there because of money? I find that kind of chincy. The point of a reception is to celebrate your marriage & entertain your guests, you don’t want to seem like a tightwad, especially if some of your guests are traveling long distances.

If this was me, I would keep the kids. I don’t mind having kids at my wedding, and I don’t want to make anyone feel left our.

It’s your choice though, nobody can tell you how to have your wedding!

Post # 4
    993 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

Is not including some family worth $1000?

Some people may choose not to come or be offended and it could cause headaches… depends what kind of wedding you want. If money didn’t matter what would you choose?  I’d go with that becasue that’s what you envision for your celebration.

Post # 5
    7879 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

My feeling is that cousins’ children aren’t especially close, and it’s fine to not invite them. You may want to make exceptions for very young children (like under 6-9 months) because at that age (a) they are hard to babysit, especially if they’re breast fed, and (b) they’re not crawling or walking, so they don’t walk around causing trouble. But once they’re past that age, most people should be able to arrange babysitting. And you’re within your rights to not want a whole lots of preschoolers there. (And I’m a mother myself).

Post # 7
    2271 posts
    Buzzing bee

I am pro child free weddings, so I vote for saving the $1,000.

Post # 8
    1881 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Do you WANT the kids there, personally? My cousins have small children, as do my fiance’s siblings. We actively want them to attend the wedding. They are fun little people. I remember going to family weddings when I was a little kid and having a blast dancing. I always thought the bride was just the most amazing looking person ever. Heck yes I want some of that tiny-people adoration at my wedding!

eta: I do also think it depends how well you know them. We see these kids several times a year and they behave pretty well at family gatherings. If you don’t know them at all though, I’d be more inclined to say don’t invite them.

Post # 9
    1022 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

don’t look at kids as $$ signs, look at it as, would you want them there? and decide that way

Post # 10
    10456 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

It’s more about do you want kids there than how much it costs I think. For only $1000 you’re setting yourself up for dealing with family drama. So that’s worth it if you really don’t want kids, but maybe not worth if it’s only about the money?

Post # 11
    165 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I opt save the cash and skip the kids. I’m having a kid free wedding (minus my little brother, ring bearer, and flower girl). I don’t want kids because at my moms second wedding kids were sliding across the dance floor and one of my older aunts almost hit the floor. I really do not like BAD BEHAVED kids.

Post # 13
    8706 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

I am also for child-free weddings so this was a no brainer for me. No kids! 

The topic ‘Child free reception to save $1000???’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors