(Closed) Choosing a Diamond: 1.23 carat or 1.31 carat?

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
325 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

The size is so close, go for the better diamond.  I think that even if a stone is a bit smaller, but a better diamond, the extra sparkle makes it look so much nicer (and sometimes bigger).

Post # 4
1480 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I would go for the slightly smaller but better quality diamond. The size difference is really negligible… like, even if you put the two stones right next to each other, I think it would be hard to tell that one is any bigger than the other. So I would choose based on which stone is sparklier and has more brilliance!

Post # 5
3672 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I agree that the sizes are not different enough so I’d totally pick the slightly smaller diamond of better quality.  

Post # 6
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I agree, the size difference will be negligible. Pick the one that is better quality and more sparkly.

Post # 7
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Go for the 1.23 carat round Excellent Ideal cut, D, VS2.

Cut is VERY VERY important. It’s the most important of the 4-Cs. (It’s what gives a diamond it’s sparkle.)
And beween the two stones you posted, you won’t be able to tell the different in size or color when it’s on your finger anyway.

Post # 8
806 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Go with cut all the way.  The color difference won’t be visible and the size difference won’t either.

Post # 9
379 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Pick the better quality for sure

Post # 10
581 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Cut and clarity make all the difference. Higher quality is way more important than size when the stones are that close in size. Honestly, that’s like not even a millimeter of size difference! But the sparkle and fire will really make the smaller stone pop!

Post # 11
289 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I agree!  Definitely go with the better cut!!!

Post # 12
5494 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

Are both of these stones certified by the same lab?  Because the ratings are not consistent from lab to lab so an E color diamond in one lab may not be an E in another.  What every jeweler told us is to buy the diamond not the certification.  Meaning, base your decision on which diamond appeals to you more, (visually), and not what the paperwork says.  I think once you look at the two and compare you’ll know which one you want, regardless of the paperwork.

Post # 13
592 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Based on what you said, I would say go with the better cut smaller diamond. BUT – see them side by side first and see which one you like more. I was amazed at how different the diamonds could be when set side by side. I picked the one that I liked the look of most (and I LOVE it!!). Sometimes they even had the same grading – but if they were graded by different labs they might be different.

Post # 15
1068 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I would go with the 1.23 and the better quality!

Post # 16
181 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Better quality definitely!

The topic ‘Choosing a Diamond: 1.23 carat or 1.31 carat?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors