- 2 years ago
- Wedding: September 2014
Bees, I am hoping somewhere here understands my particular brand of crazy with this. I’m really upset/emotional and FH doesn’t seem to get it.
We live in a very small house with 2 cats and one large Malamute. Once in a while, we talked about getting another dog, but always decided that we simply don’t have the space, time, energy or finances to justify it. I really like our routine and although I love my animals, I didn’t want another one.
FH has a good friend who has a brother. The brother has been kind of a mess for the time that we’ve known him – just really unstable. A few weeks ago, he asked his brother to take his dog because he is living motel to motel. The brother already has 2 dogs and his landlord wouldn’t let him take more, so he called us. We were told that the owner had signed a lease and was going to be moving into an apartment in a week, so we readily agreed to watch the dog for him.
Well… it’s been a month. The owner hasn’t come to visit, hasn’t provided us any money for her care, and has not called to see how she is doing – nothing. I tried to keep this pup at arm’s length in a “babysitting” kind of situation, but that’s gotten really hard. She’s a sweetheart & gets along with our other animals. I can feel myself getting attached. Tonight, I started crying because I have a feeling that we are going to have her for a long time. The owner has given us no indication of taking his dog back and doesn’t seem to care at all, which is really sad. But I’m so torn between two feelings.
#1 I’m terrified that we will end up with this dog for like 6 months. I will fall in love with her and she will become a part of our family. Then her owner will suddenly reappear and take her back, which will rip my heart out.
#2 We end up with this pup forever. As much as I love her already, I do not want another dog (for the listed reasons above). With that said, we would never ever surrender this dog to a shelter. We would keep her forever out of love, even if it inconveniences us. It’s just frustrating that we took this dog in with the agreement that it would be a very short term situation and now it feels like our hands are being forced.
I feel like this is a lose lose situation. I would be 100% on board with having her for an extended period of time if we had a timeline. The not knowing is a problem for me.
I don’t know if this makes any sense, but I’m really frustrated. If anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation, I am ALL ears.