- 5 years ago
- Wedding: May 2014
Well in my case you buy it.
Let me preface this by saying I feel like I let down the original Bees who commented on my previous poll and posts about getting over dress regret etc., and I still feel a little guilty because of that, so I’m sorry but I caved on the dress issue. So here’s my confession of sorts:
1. I had lusted over this one particular dress for years. Finally when I got engaged I made a beeline for the nearest DB’s to try it on. The dress looked good, and I liked it on me, but I also tried on a lot of other dresses that day. That ‘dream dress’ just FYI was discontinued so there was some pressure to “buy it soon because we’re not sure if we will still have your size later.” I said I would look around first.
2. I went to another shop and tried on a few more dresses. There was this other dress that I had been wanting to try and it was at this salon. My friends loved it on me. They liked the dream dress on me too but they felt somehow that this other dress was more me. I almost bought the dress then but held myself back because I wanted to show my mom the photos and get her opinion. At that point it was the dream dress vs. the other dress. All-out glam vs. simple elegance.
3. My mom liked the other dress better than the dream dress, but she was worried about the fit of the sample. I am a size 0-2 and super duper petite, the other dress sample was a size 12, high bateau-neck and almost backless, so even pinned it looked a little weird. The dream dress was also a sample size 12 but it looked better pinned because of the way it was constructed (not backless, v-neck).
4. The not-so-flattering sample pics bothered me, plus this dress was 2x the price of my dream dress so I said “what the heck, I already tried on my dream dress, I’ve curshed on it for years, it looks good, it’s cheaper, they had one left in my size, maybe it was meant to be.” So I ordered it. It came. I loved it. Or so I thought.
5. I still kept thinking about the other dress. I even posted a poll on the Hive asking Bees to vote which dress was better. 75% said they liked my ‘dream dress’ better than my ‘other dress’. I thought “hey the majority rules!” and thought that was that. I even deleted my poll on the Hive about these two dresses because I didn’t want any more noise in my head or pictures of them side-by-side. Nope. I still kept thinking about the other dress.
6. My fiancé saw I was losing sleep over it and said I should go try the other dress one last time and see how I felt. I went to a different store and wonder of wonders they had a size 8 sample and I tried it on. I don’t know if it was the smaller sample size that helped, or if it was just plainly seeing the dress on me again, but I could see myself walking down the aisle in that dress. I could see myself dancing at our reception in that dress. So I bought it.
Voila, my story. I still feel a little bad about the whole experience because I tried to be a logical person and make rational, practical decisions, but I guess I totally threw logic out the window on this one. I know a lot of people might still think the other dress is more ‘glam and wow’ and the other dress is ‘simpler and plainer’ but I’m going to defend this dress to death haha!
Here are links to the two dresses:
My second dress: http://www.rosaclara.es/en/vestido/10/228-delicia-831.html
I deleted personal photos of the dresses on the Bee because I realized my fiancé might accidentally do a Google search and find me and my dress on here. 😛