(Closed) Considering reBar or Galapago Art Space for June 2013 Wedding

posted 6 years ago in New York City
Post # 3
389 posts
Helper bee

I find it too dark and industrial for a wedding.  Unless you have a budget for lighting and great decor, it can feel cavelike.

Post # 4
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@kalimel80:   We also considered both Galapagos and rebar for venues – budget was more of a concern for us so in that regard, rebar is definitely more affordable because even with food included, the cost is less than Galapagos. However, if they are both within your budget, then I’d say consider your guest list – if it’s large, then Galapagos seems to have a lot more room to spread out – though if you expect everyone to be dancing, it may get a little crowded on the stage. I think there’s more room to make your wedding unique at Galapagos too – you have that stage and lots of tables. If I remember correctly, you could use one of their lighting technicians. However, rebar is pretty much all-inclusive. If you’re not into making decisions about all the little things (like me!), then it seems to be the way to go. Good luck! I’d love to hear what you decide!

Post # 5
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I’m getting married at Galapagos next April and we looked at Rebar as well. I was initially put off by the ‘nightclub’ vibe at Galapagos we nearly ditched ourappointment to go view the space. In so glad we did, as Adam (coordinator) showed us some photos that they didn’t have posted on their site. They have these chandeliers that you can rent for an add’l cost and they really soften the room and make it quite intimate and romantic. I’m addition, you get the use of a lignin technician during your wedding and they can really soften theatmosphere with the lighting. 

Regarding the tables, they remove the tiny club tables and bring in big rounds that can accommodate 12-14 at each on the lower ground and they can put in some larger tables on te balcony. The balcony seating is actually way more intimate than you’d think…the bottom floor and stage feel really close. 

We considered Galapagos, but I preferred the flow of Galapagos and also the ability to bring in our own caterer. The folks at Rebar could not have been nicer though and I’m sure that a wedding there would be great! Let me know if you have any more questions about Galapagos….

Post # 6
857 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

As far as I know, ReBar is pretty booked up for 2013 already …. i’m not sure if they have anything left for June. Being said, it’s an awesome, although popular, place! 

Post # 7
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@BKBride2013:  congrats to you! Looks like your big day is fast approaching. I’m researching galapagos for my ceremony/reception. Im having an intimate affair for my second wedding and I’m losing my mind trying to find venues that host small parties. Do they require a guest minimum?

Post # 8
95 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@Kensfuturewife:  I believe the minimum is 100? Check out Frankie’s 457…the carriage house is amazing and perfect for smaller events. I’ve also heard great things about Ici!

Post # 9
497 posts
Helper bee

I attended a wedding at Galapagos art space (the ceremony was held at Brooklyn Bridge Park). I thought it was great! The vibe was very cool and fun. The couple was younger so it was awesome. I like lounge feel for weddings.

Post # 10
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

ReBar looks like a… bar. Not thrilled about that. Great food though! And now isn’t Galapagos out of business or are they still doing weddings???

Post # 11
95 posts
Worker bee

Galapagos is certainly not going out of business! I got married there about six weeks ago and it was AMAZING!

Post # 12
202 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I live in DUMBO and have been to many parties and weddings at both.  Your guests will walk away from Galapagos with a very amazing and unique and memorable experience.  There’s water under the tables, a huge view of manhattan outside (which is not accessible from Rebar)– it’s fabulous.  I would absolutely chose Galapagos.

I loooooooove Rebar as a restaurant.  As a venue, it’s just another space.  Galapagos is truly unique.

And whoever said Galapagos was out of business?  I live 10 feet away, was there tonight, and am going to a wedding there in 7 months.

Post # 13
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@BrooklynBride2013 Your photo just made me so excited for my wedding next year at Galapagos.  What a gorgeous venue!  Just was wondering how did you keep costs down for guests between hotels and parking?  What hotel would you reco to block rooms at?  I’ve been researching NU hotel but hoping I can find one that will shuttle the guests to the ceremony and reception site

Post # 14
95 posts
Worker bee

We blocked at the Nu, the Sheraton and the Andaz Wall St. The Andaz is actually great bc the ferry runs you right across the river to the pier in Dumbo. We had a ton of guests use airbnb. It worked great for us. We didn’t provide tranaportation, just gave guests a lot of info on how to get the subway and taxis. We also made sure to warn people about taxi shift change (4-5 PM) when planning their transport. 

Post # 15
454 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

Hey all I am having the same debate right now so i figured I’d bump this post and see if I can get any help! If anyone has been to a wedding at either of these places I would love guest as well as bride opinions. I apologize in advance for the length of this I have been going back and forth in my head and keep talking myself into one or the other… Truly can’t decide! Here’s a comparison of what we know so far

ceremony

Galapagos- definitely wins in this category… It is steps away from brooklyn bridge park and they help you set up the ceremony with wood floor for pebble beach and microphones for all And keep pedestrians away during. They charge $500 for this. But if it rains it is beautiful inside too. They invite people into the venue for a drink then take them out for the ceremony. 

rebar- can still do ceremony in the park but you are on your own. Though you could spend the $500 getting someone to help you.  It’s not really walking distance with heels etc so we would prob have to get the shuttle bus to bring people to the park then Rebar. If it rains it’s not an awesome setting to do the ceremony in rebar but they can do it. 

Price

galapagos- have to pay for space rental which includes all drinks. It’s not super expensive but not budget either, starts at 13500 for fully seated on a Friday night. they only do tax and service charge on 20% of this cost though which is awesome and gratuity is built in.. Still waiting to hear back from caterers on food pricing which might make or break the budget

rebar- clear winner here. Offering all inclusive dj, flowers, food including cupcakes and drinks plus gratuity and service charges for 180 pp on our date. Tax on top. they also give you 10% discount if you book within a week and 5% for paying in full whenever you book which can add up to 15%.  Also give you kids under 5 free and first 10 kids over 5yrs free… not that we have many kids but it’s nice 🙂

Space

galapagos- enough seating for 200 people, large tables for 12-14 available, which I love. still relaxed feel and can still keep seating informal if you want. Cool set up with two floors. Has custom lighting tech that works with you for your wedding to make it look awesome. at fist when I walked in I was really put off by the smell of the water.. Anyone have experience with this? And the backs of the seats looked worn and a little stained. 

Rebar- not enough seats for everyone.. Might be able to work it to get about 110 seats and I have heard from friends that have been to a wedding here that they had to eat off their laps (which in nice dresses makes me uncomfortable) 

rebar has cooler individual spaces, nicer bathrooms in the bridal suite that guests can use that nicer than the ones at Galapagos. They also have a theatre you can play wii games and screen movies in during the party and room for photo booth and another room with TVs and a bar. 

Bridal suit

galapagos- all the way on the third floor, probably a pain to walk up all the stairs to get something out if your bag during the wedding, currently being rennovated. 

Rebar- really nice and big, on the same level as everything else, seems new or remodeled recently 

alcohol

galapagos- 6 hrs open bar. Well liquor but it didn’t look like junk brands (guy is sending us a list soon) can upgrade for a fee pp. Awesome beer selection. Will have a mixologist sit down with you and create your signature drinks together.

rebar- 4 hrs open bar. Premium liquor. Awesome craft beer selection.  Didn’t seem to know how to make and old fashioned when we went there (important to the hubby lol) also do signature drinks but idk if they will help you invent them. 

Food

galapagos- dont know but we get to pick the caterer 

rebar- amazing! They really wined and dined us and we probably had over $200 worth of food there for free they we’re so generous we felt guilty! They even brought us things to try that we didn’t order because they usually serve them at the weddings and insisted we go home with the biggest piece of cake I’ve ever seen (like 1/4 of a cake!) of course my fiancé fell in love with their Mac and cheese which I see is quite common lol. 

anonymous

both seem to have great staff and a hand holding approach to helping you plan everything and make it easy, my fiancé saw a mouse/rat in the lobby of rebar and a roach in the top floor of Galapagos but it is the city lol. Both have places to display pictures and put photo booths. 

TL;DR: Ceremony- Galapagos, Price- rebar, Space- galapagos for seating but rebar is more fun. Bridal suite- rebar. Alcohol- tie? Galapagos gives you more time, rebar gives you better alcohol. Food- rebar, but the caterers at Galapagos could be just as awesome. 

Also idk what is most important very hard to decide. Any input would be welcome! 

Post # 16
89 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

The topic ‘Considering reBar or Galapago Art Space for June 2013 Wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors