Coral, navy, mint 1940s themed wedding? Advice on coloring

posted 3 years ago in Themes
Post # 3
3249 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I think navy is the best colour of dress on most women.  I think one of the other colours would look better on an African American bridesmad, but navy would not look bad.  I’m inclined toward navy being the main colour here, but, for the sake of full disclosure, I’m not a fan of coral, and the mint doesn’t thrill me too much either.  So, it could just be that I like navy most, that I think it should be the main colour.  I do honestly think that will look best, though.  Also you can have flowers in coral, and they’ll hav green of course, and you can’t really get a navy flower.

Post # 5
3249 posts
Sugar bee

@katiecat08:  Well, what’s your wedding like?  How formal?  What will your dress be like?  What time of day? etc.

Post # 6
3249 posts
Sugar bee

And I just noticed you’re getting married on our first anniversary!

Post # 8
454 posts
Helper bee

honestly I agree with Duncan, the idea of mint just doesn’t seem flattering (depending on the tint of mint tho-not sure if you’re set on mint tho so if you are disregard! 😀 ) Coral is actually a beautiful color for african americans. our skin tones really come alive in light colors like coral. For me, a medium brown, i look good in light colors whereas friends who are lighter look good in darker colors.

You can do navy suits and a light coral shirt. but I don’t think the color combination of all three would work out well. I’m imagining navy suits, coral shirt, and a mint tie… but in my head it doesn’t sound/look good to me at all.

@Duncan:  

@katiecat08:  

Post # 10
3249 posts
Sugar bee

Lighter ties on darker shirts is not really a good look.  Are you thinking just shirts and ties, or suits?  I vote suits.  And what does the Groom think about this side of things?

Post # 12
3249 posts
Sugar bee

@otto2008:  You are correct to imagine that being terrible.  It is terrible.

Navy or grey suits are the way to go, as per usual.  Medium grey would be good at this type of wedding, even light grey.  Light grey just can’t be worn year round, so if you want the guys t buy, it’s nicer to make it medium grey or darker.  A navy or charcoal suit is never bad choices.

Actually, from what you’re describing, I could totally picture just keeping it simple, and telling the guys to wear a solid blue or grey suit, whatever shade they want.

@katiecat08:  

Post # 15
3249 posts
Sugar bee

@katiecat08: Well, in the 40’s, the guys would wear suits, if you want to be accurate.  But, if you want to do kind of a playful nod to the 40’s, nothing wrong with that, either.  That would be something like shirts, with bare suspenders.  It does sound, though, like what you want is a bit more elegant than I would think goes with bare suspenders – suspenders aren’t actually meant to be seen, but I know it’s quite a popular look right now.

A 40’s wedding:

Guys walking around in the 40’s:

Post # 16
3249 posts
Sugar bee

One caveat – that guy is in a pinstriped suit; solid suits would normally be worn at a wedding.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors